Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Model to buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012 | 03:27 PM
Mmkleine
|
Stage I
Default Model to buy

Currently a GL 1800 Goldwing owner. Owned metric cruisers before and purchased the Wing because I thought my wife would be more inclined to ride because of the comfort features the wing provides. Wrong, in my dreams, she is only good for a few hours and many stops before the complaining starts. I still like to tour though with the buddies and am considering a Harley. I am considering the Street Glide, Road Glide and the Ultra classic 2011 and up for the 103 and ABS. Unfortunately, you need more than the standard one hour test ride to see what is the best fit. I know there are many opinions, but I'm interested in those who have had experience with all three.

Old 06-13-2012 | 03:34 PM
HarleyArcher
Road Warrior

I had a EG and now ride a RG. The RG is going to handle and ride much like your goldwing. If you go with a RG custom you can strip it down for shorter rides and if you decide to do longer distance you can throw on a sissybar or tour pack. You can also do that with any of the touring bikes but I am guessing that going from a GW to a street glide or batwing period is going to make you feel like the dash and windshield is all up in your face and torso. The RG handles like a dream but it does take some fine tuning to get the wind issues to where you want them. Just my .02 hope that helps!

Old 06-13-2012 | 03:38 PM
HarleyArcher
Road Warrior

Another option is the Road King. If you don't have to have a radio the RK is a GREAT bike! It has an awesome look and ride for a touring bike. My dad's 04 RK is probably the nicest riding bike I have road, I just cannot live without a radio and really have not seen a decent add on radio for the RK. Just another thought!

Old 06-13-2012 | 03:54 PM
sixty4nhalf
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mmkleine
Currently a GL 1800 Goldwing owner. Owned metric cruisers before and purchased the Wing because I thought my wife would be more inclined to ride because of the comfort features the wing provides. Wrong, in my dreams, she is only good for a few hours and many stops before the complaining starts. I still like to tour though with the buddies and am considering a Harley. I am considering the Street Glide, Road Glide and the Ultra classic 2011 and up for the 103 and ABS. Unfortunately, you need more than the standard one hour test ride to see what is the best fit. I know there are many opinions, but I'm interested in those who have had experience with all three.
I can not speak of the RG or SG, I went from a VT1100 Shadow ACE Tourer, and test road the EG, I totally fell in love with it, I wanted the full bagger so that is what I ordered. Another option is to see if the Dealer(s) has any used bike that you could take out for a longer ride. I was told by mine that I could go out for a bit on a new one but if I wanted to take a longer test ride they would have to put me in a pre-owned one. (that wasn't the case for me) Good luck on your HD (ad)venture.

Old 06-13-2012 | 05:17 PM
aaamax
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HarleyArcher
Another option is the Road King. If you don't have to have a radio the RK is a GREAT bike! It has an awesome look and ride for a touring bike. My dad's 04 RK is probably the nicest riding bike I have road, I just cannot live without a radio and really have not seen a decent add on radio for the RK. Just another thought!
Road King gets my vote. Great lines and a bit less "stuff" which is a good thing.

Old 06-13-2012 | 05:41 PM
TASibley
Road Warrior

Welcome From Louisiana!

Old 06-13-2012 | 06:34 PM
2012UltraLimited
Outstanding HDF Member

stick with the Ultra. Overall a great bike and you can get the Streetglide look if you want ( I've owned SG and now Ultra Limited). I have no experience with the RG but I just could never get over the looks. better protection on SG and Ultra with the right windshield. good luck

Last edited by 2012UltraLimited; 06-13-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-13-2012 | 07:36 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned

Welcome from Alabama!

Old 06-13-2012 | 07:53 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Welcome to the forum. I went in this order SG,EG,RG,and finally back to another EG. You can't go wrong with any of them,but my pick would be any model EG.

Old 06-13-2012 | 08:22 PM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member

Welcome from So.Cal.

Quick Reply: Model to buy