Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

New GA Member

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012 | 12:17 PM
Depdog
|
Tourer
Default New GA Member

For whomever is interested.

I am new to the forum, not new to motorcycles. Started out with Sport Bikes (Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda). After being hit from behind by another biker while riding in the mountains in 96, I took a leave from bikes for a while. (4 kids and a worried wife got me into Rock Crawling with a Chevrolet K5 Blazer that I built.) Gas prices and time constraints put a kabosh on that and the K5 went up for sale. After quite a while with no interest I got an email asking if I was interested in any trades.

Trades, heck yeah, whatcha got. Guy had a 2005 883C in Metallic Yellow. Had Chrome everything and straight pipes. Was also stroked into a 1200. He brought it down and I rode it, and we swaped title for title. That was about a year ago and my first Harley. Enjoyed the hell out of riding it and the sound. Put on a Memphis Shades quick detach windsheild and a big set of leather saddle bags.

Fast forward to St. Patricks day. I get a horrible phone call telling me my father had passed. He was in the hospital and I was getting dressed to go up to see him. After dealing with a hell of a horrible day I am sitting up at about 2 in the morning on Sunday since I could not sleep, I am aimlessly surfing the web. My wife wakes up, sits up and asks me what I am doing. I look at the computer screen and I am on the Harley Website and looking at a Street Glide. I tell her I honestly don't know what I'm doing and decide to try and go back to sleep.

I get a couple of fitful hours of sleep and wake up with the clear understanding of exaclty what I was doing. I wake up with the memory of my father when I got the Sportster, he was not very happy about it (because he did not like motorcycles). He wanted me to get rid of it and told me time and again that when he passed to take part of what he left me and get whatever I wanted. He had told me that several times over the years whenever I mentioned getting another bike. He would just say don't waste your money, pay your bills and when I'm gone get whatever you want.

So I woke her up and told her that I now knew why I was on the HD website and told her she had no say so, that it was not up for discussion and that I was going to buy a new Harley with part of what my father left me. She asked me how much I was going to spend and I told her whatever I felt like. She looked me in the eye, sighed, gave me a kiss on the cheek and said OK. (gotta love my girl). I went to the Victory site and looked at every bike and color combination they had, then to the HD site and when I got to the Street Glide I stopped, it just felt right. I showed it to my wife and she thought it was "very pretty".

Went to my local dealer (long time friend is the sales manager) and told him what I as looking for, he gave me an offer and I shopped it around until I beat it. Had him beat that one and we looked on the HD locater to find my bike. We found several and the first two dealers he called had just sold and doing paperwork on the bike I wanted (2012 Vivid Black Street Glide with Cruise, ABS and Security). The third time was the charm and we found one in Athens. He went to swap the one they had (without ABS) the next day and brought home my new baby. Went to the dealer the next day to pick her up. Went into the finance office and the finace guy slid the paperwork across for financing. (my dad would love this as he has done it several times). I slid it back across and said "what, you don't take a check?. Paid for it and took it home. Going back this friday to have the Siren II put in and swap out the windshield for an 8.5" Klock Werks.

Whew, sorry for the novel, but it felt good to type all this out. When I walked into the dealer to look, then buy the bike there was no trepadation, no hesitation and no second thoughts. It just felt right, when I get on her and ride, it just feels right. The Street Glide rides sooo much better than the Sportster.

Thanks for anyone reading.

Glenn

Old 04-04-2012 | 12:39 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

GA is a great place to ride, welcome to the forum.

Old 04-04-2012 | 01:35 PM
Big L
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

Nice to hear and welcome to the forum. What part of GA you ride in? I'm up in Auburn.

Old 04-04-2012 | 01:48 PM
cmichael
Grand HDF Member

Welcome to the hdforum from Oklahoma.

Old 04-04-2012 | 03:39 PM
blueyz0416
Now with God. Love you baby... -Wiz

Sorry about your Dad passing. Good luck with the SG, they are awesome! +2 what Pondskipper said.

Old 04-04-2012 | 03:41 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Welcome to the forum.

Old 04-04-2012 | 04:16 PM
Concrete Man
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome from Mo

Old 04-04-2012 | 04:29 PM
ceebaileys
Former Sponsor

Welcome from sunny Southern California

Old 04-04-2012 | 04:32 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

Welcome to the forum! Sorry about your dad. Nice little memory to have of him.

I love cruising the twisties in the N. GA mountains myself, then again we have a lot of great roads to cruise in the area!

Old 04-04-2012 | 06:22 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Nice intro..........Welcome to the HDForum from Arizona.....

Quick Reply: New GA Member