Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.
View Poll Results: Too old or Good Deal?
Too Old, dont want the headaches
52.94%
Seems like a good deal, go check it out
47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

NooB - First bike purchase help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Pngiaca
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats kinda what I was thinking, but I didn't know if I am overthinking it, and in general there shouldn't be too much extra that I would have to do with an old bike like that, compared to a 5 year old sportster, for example.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,000 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Welcome from Virginia....

Old 03-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

According to the ad the bike has averaged 500 miles a year, so does that mean it has sat un used for long periods of time? Who knows? It could make a good buy for someone who is happy to completely strip the bike down and rebuild it. I don't think it is a proposition for a novice but at the end of the day it is your money and your choice, I would guess that most of the folks here, like me, started on something a lot smaller as a kid and have worked their way up over the years while learning quite a lot about wrenching on the way.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

I bought a 2003 FLHTCUI from Racine HD last year. No problems.
They have a 1997 XLH1200C with 19k miles for $3995:

A 2008 XL 1200L with 2K miles for$6800.

http://www.racinehd.com/m_results.asp

If you go to harley-davidson.com you can search any part of the country for any model.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Pngiaca
Novice

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
According to the ad the bike has averaged 500 miles a year, so does that mean it has sat un used for long periods of time? Who knows? It could make a good buy for someone who is happy to completely strip the bike down and rebuild it. I don't think it is a proposition for a novice but at the end of the day it is your money and your choice, I would guess that most of the folks here, like me, started on something a lot smaller as a kid and have worked their way up over the years while learning quite a lot about wrenching on the way.
Ya, so basically older bikes from the 80's or even older, shouldn't necessarilly be avoided. They may be perfectly fine with minimal effort, for someone who knows how to work on them. However, it would probably be a bit overwhelming for someone, like myself, who doesn't have much experience working on engines or motorcylces, right?

Old 03-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pngiaca
Ya, so basically older bikes from the 80's or even older, shouldn't necessarilly be avoided. They may be perfectly fine with minimal effort, for someone who knows how to work on them. However, it would probably be a bit overwhelming for someone, like myself, who doesn't have much experience working on engines or motorcylces, right?
Yes, that would be my opinion.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:47 PM
SwitchHD
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not mechanical

I know my limitations when it comes to mechanics--an older model would not be for me. I'd stretch my budget amap and get the newest bike I could with the fewest miles. Like the "2008 XL 1200L with 2K miles for$6800." As far as "chick bikes">Don't listen to anyone, anything that gets you on 2 wheels and experiencing joy is a good thing.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Pngiaca
Novice

Ya, I've never understood how someone could call a bike with a 1200 cc engine a "chick bike". But that seems to be the mentallity of the elitist rich guy, sunday riders out there who can afford whatever bike they want, and care more about how they look than how they ride.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:23 PM
ceebaileys
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from sunny Southern California

Old 03-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Ya, I've never understood how someone could call a bike with a 1200 cc engine a "chick bike". But that seems to be the mentallity of the elitist rich guy, sunday riders out there who can afford whatever bike they want, and care more about how they look than how they ride.
Stay within your budget. Don't start getting bitter about name calling, that hasn't even happened. And don't disrespect people who can afford a bigger bike than you.

My first bike was an 04 Vulcan 750. I didn't give a crap what others said about it and I had lots of fun on it. My new bike is nicer and I get alot of compliments from the same guys who gave me crap about my "ricer".

Just worry about your own business and screw people who try to put you down. But don't spit in the face of people trying to help you.

Quick Reply: NooB - First bike purchase help