Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Life story from Wichita, Ks.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006 | 10:47 AM
Toyman
|
Tourer
Default Life story from Wichita, Ks.

First time visiting this board and liked what I saw so I quickly registered so I could introduce myself. I'm a story teller so here's' my story......................................

As you can see I'm the "Toyman" and just to clear up any misconceptions as to why its' because I have many big boy toys. Not just cycles even though this is where it all started.

I've been riding motorcycles for almost 40yrs. It all started with a 57 Cushman Eagle that my oldest brother bought me when I was about 12 yrs old. He took on the fatherly role after our dad died 2 years earlier. He was a big fan of HD & Triumph cycles and had owned & sold many over the years so he quickly moved me up to a HD 175cc. This was pretty cool **** for me in Junior High to have a Harley even though it was some import they had their badge on. I got into a lot of trouble sneeking this bike out late at night when my brother went to work graveyard shift. Neighbors just didn't take a like'n to me blasting down the street during the wee hours in the morn. especially after I'd found out how cool it sounded with muffler off. So bye bye to the bike and I returned to ride'n bitch. It wasn't so bad though as he had some sweet rides. Old school choppers like a 47 knuckle, old pan & shovel heads, 45 inchers, BSA and Triumphs, dressers, you name it he had it at one time or another. I'll have to dig up some old pics. & post them. Well a few years pasted & he got me a 73 Yammy 650 twin when I turned 16 & I was shitting in tall cotton once again & of course rasing to much hell so bye bye again to this bike. Now I had to convinced my mom to talk my step father into loaning me the bucks to purchase a new 75 Suzuki 250 dirt bike so I could get to play off road and give the folks on the street a break. He did it to try to bond with me & teach me about credit useage. I never liked this old man prior to this but he was alright in my book after I had the greenbacks in my hand. First day I did the Evil Knevil thing & put my chin through my own headlight landing hard on the front tire but I rode it out and got a few hi-fives from my buddies who witnessed it. They were quick to notice blood dripping from behind my helmet chin strap so I then slid my hand up and noticed a large hole................. I'd cut my own throught! So off to the Doc to get stitched up. Just missed my juglar by a 1/4". My buds had me believe'n if I did'nt climb right back on my bike & ride I'd be chicken the rest of my life. So I proved to all I was a biker for life. Bandaged up like "Walking Tall" I rode right back out to the very same spot & rode up that hill again but this time no air! I could go on for ever about my life of riding bikes but I want to get back to why I am here today posting my intro. My brother who influenced me so much, is the reason I am the "Toyman" passed away a couple years ago from brain cancer. It was hard to see him go. I visited him as often as I could during his chemo. treatments and he'd speak of buying another Hog or Corvette to go out in style and I tried hard to convience him to do it. He knew he wasn't going to make it and didn't want to burden the family with selling anything like this so it didn't happen to my disappointment. Well to cut to the chaise he left me enough money so I can now go out and get that Hog that he should have got. I figured this would be a great way to pay tribute to a man that was much more than a brother to me. He was like my father, my best friend......................my biking buddie. My only other brother also rides and Harleys are it. He has an 02 Ultra that I've rode and liked very well. My girl friend really likes to ride with me & I'm certain she'll enjoy riding even more if we rode a full dresser so that pretty much convienced me to go with a Ultra Classic. A good friend of my living brother made me a deal on his 06 Ultra that I can't refuse so I'm heading up north to Sioux City, Ia. (my home town) in two weeks to pick it up.

Old 12-03-2006 | 10:56 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Life story from Wichita, Ks.

Hi Toyman, that is some story Welcome to HDF from Utica New York

Old 12-03-2006 | 11:02 AM
Towpro
Banned

First & foremost Toyman, condolences on the loss of your bro....that "C" word is **** man, hate it.

Also, welcome to the HDF family, where you will be picked-on, picked-at, laughed-at, you name it......but the most important thing, you will be taken in by all us heathens......LOL

We got your back man.....putt safe on that new scoot.

Old 12-03-2006 | 11:06 AM
E1
Ultimate HDF Member

Great story and welcome aboard from Germany!

Old 12-03-2006 | 12:56 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member

Toyman,

Great story of inspiration and hopefully you have found peace with the passing of your brother. Just a great way to honor him

Welcome from PA

Toyrider

Old 12-03-2006 | 01:00 PM
randy78045
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Interesting story, and welcome from Laredo, Texas...

Old 12-03-2006 | 01:53 PM
streetbobber
Tourer

Welcome from Strasbourg in FRANCE

Old 12-03-2006 | 01:58 PM
Reino
Ultimate HDF Member

A long read, welcome from Oz.

Old 12-03-2006 | 04:16 PM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Welcome aboard from Omaha, Nebraska.

Old 12-03-2006 | 05:43 PM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member

G'day, welcome to the HDForums from New Zealand, enjoy!!!! [sm=welcomesign.gif]

Quick Reply: Life story from Wichita, Ks.