Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

New from Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011 | 11:13 AM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome from Brooklyn. Ride safe!

Old 11-02-2011 | 01:59 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member

Welcome aboard from New York.

Old 11-02-2011 | 02:02 PM
FXDXJimmy
Cruiser

Welcome from across the border in NW Indiana!

Old 11-02-2011 | 02:09 PM
Hot6
Cruiser

Welcome from Alabama! Good luck!

Old 11-02-2011 | 03:30 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

Old 11-02-2011 | 07:00 PM
liljoejoe54
|
Tourer

Thanks a lot everyone!

Originally Posted by Ron750
Welcome. Do you ride now?
Nope, I never rode before and dont own a bike. I plan on taking a riding class and getting my license this winter then hopefully getting my bike early spring/summer. I have been wanting a bike forever but had a few muscle cars instead and couldnt afford to have both at the same time but now that im car free, its time to get a new toy, lol.

I went to the Harley Dealership in Lisle, IL and sat on a bunch of bikes to see what fits me best so I can get an idea of what I want and know what I plan to spend so I can start saving.

Sportsters (Iron 883, Nightster): They just made me feel big and I didnt like where the shifter was, it felt too close to me. A Sportster is what I originally wanted to get because they are half the price as the FatBoy Lo but everybody kept telling me I would get bored with it and want to trade it in within a year. A couple of my buddies have Sportsters and they say the same thing. I like them but they dont fit me well so im glad I went and checked a few out.

V-Rod: Very comfortable, looks great but from what I read, its not meant for long rides and I plan on going on a few road trips so that rules the V-Rod out.

FatBob: Comfortable, looks/sounds great but I couldnt put my feet flat on the ground when standing the bike up so thats out.

Fatboy lo: The Fatboy was extremely comfortable and just felt right to me. Im short (5'6") and I need a bike that allows me to put my feet flat on the ground while at a light so this passed that test, lol. I plan on getting it in Black Denim.

Old 11-03-2011 | 08:24 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome from Virginia.....

Old 11-04-2011 | 11:38 AM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member

Good luck on your search and welcome from Kalifornia

Old 11-04-2011 | 12:11 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by liljoejoe54
Thanks a lot everyone!

Nope, I never rode before and dont own a bike. I plan on taking a riding class and getting my license this winter then hopefully getting my bike early spring/summer. I have been wanting a bike forever but had a few muscle cars instead and couldnt afford to have both at the same time but now that im car free, its time to get a new toy, lol.

I went to the Harley Dealership in Lisle, IL and sat on a bunch of bikes to see what fits me best so I can get an idea of what I want and know what I plan to spend so I can start saving.

Sportsters (Iron 883, Nightster): They just made me feel big and I didnt like where the shifter was, it felt too close to me. A Sportster is what I originally wanted to get because they are half the price as the FatBoy Lo but everybody kept telling me I would get bored with it and want to trade it in within a year. A couple of my buddies have Sportsters and they say the same thing. I like them but they dont fit me well so im glad I went and checked a few out.

V-Rod: Very comfortable, looks great but from what I read, its not meant for long rides and I plan on going on a few road trips so that rules the V-Rod out.

FatBob: Comfortable, looks/sounds great but I couldnt put my feet flat on the ground when standing the bike up so thats out.

Fatboy lo: The Fatboy was extremely comfortable and just felt right to me. Im short (5'6") and I need a bike that allows me to put my feet flat on the ground while at a light so this passed that test, lol. I plan on getting it in Black Denim.
Try riding in some rural areas before you ride around Chicagoland. Car drivers there are out of control and a menace to any motorcycle, especially if you are inexperienced.
Do a search on here and read about riding in the rain, navigating curves and engine blipping. It could all save your life. Good luck.

Read this thread. I posted good links for newbies on there.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699942&highlight=ron750+osco&page =2

Old 11-04-2011 | 01:04 PM
liljoejoe54
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ron750
Try riding in some rural areas before you ride around Chicagoland. Car drivers there are out of control and a menace to any motorcycle, especially if you are inexperienced.
Do a search on here and read about riding in the rain, navigating curves and engine blipping. It could all save your life. Good luck.

Read this thread. I posted good links for newbies on there.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...50+osco&page=2
Thanks alot, much appreciated. After I take that riding class and get my license, I plan on renting a bike for a few days and ride on my own so I get the feel for it a lot more before I go and buy my own. I will take your advice and ride out in the sticks as opposed to the city cuz like you said, there are a lot of nut drivers not paying attention out here.

Quick Reply: New from Chicago