Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Trying to get from 0 to 60. TLDR

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011 | 09:57 AM
bobbytouche
|
Novice
Default Trying to get from 0 to 60. TLDR

The extent of my riding experience ends at revving the engine on a stationary bike. I was immediately addicted.

I'm hoping to take the MSC in the next moth or two for my endorsement. In the meantime, even attempting first gear is out of the question. Which is perfect because I don't even have an available bike to be stupid on.

Well that's not necessarily true. About a year ago, my folks bought a 1986 Sportster. It belonged to my uncle and because of falling on hard times, he had to sell it. My parents were happy to help him. They don't ride and don't care to, so the ol' girl's just been sitting in a storage unit looking very lonely.

It's customized quite a bit, bored and stroked to 1200 from 883, forward controls, custom tac, ape hangers, lots of chrome, etc.

You may have already guessed that I've got it in my head to obtain the sporty for myself. My dad thinks it's too much bike, and maybe it is, but it's my only real shot at buying a Harley and I don't care to own an import. I don't have a problem with Yamahas or Hondas, I'm just a sucker for the unmistakable roar and the revered MADE IN THE USA text printed in the Clymers service manual (which I've been studying religiously).

Kelly Blue Book prices the bike at roughly $2500, which is a far cry from the NADA website quoting over $5000 for an '86 in excellent condition (which it definitely is). Neither of which account for the custom work, but as I've read that may not have much affect on the value.

I'm tall. 6'2" with a 32-34" inseam depending on the denim brand. I can't stand the look of big guys on small bikes. It's ridiculous to me. But I guess beggars can't be choosers. The bike FEELS good, even if it looks silly.

Is 1200cc too much to start with? Is NADA out of their minds? Should I suck it up and shoot for a Honda as a first bike? etc...

Last edited by bobbytouche; 10-16-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-15-2011 | 10:16 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Bobby, you're right to first take the training course. It'll be on smaller bikes, and you'll learn proper clutch and throttle control. Your biggest challenge going from the training bikes to the Sportster will probably be understanding how much instant torque you will have if you roll on the throttle too much. Take the Sporty to a big, empty parking lot, and practice the same manuevers that they'll teach you in the course.

Take it easy and you shouldn't have any problem. You are certainly big enough to handle it, and after a year of riding you'll probably be looking to move up.

Old 10-15-2011 | 11:41 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member

Welcome aboard from New York.

Take the MSC course and you should be good to go. You can also ask the instructors after they see you ride if they think you could handle it.

Old 10-15-2011 | 02:31 PM
racerdj
Club Member

You'll be off to a safe start with the class. Welcome to the Forum from Indy!

Old 10-16-2011 | 08:12 AM
bobbytouche
|
Novice

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Especially you, MNPGRider, I think your expertise should make everybody a bit more comfortable matching me up with the sportster. And no worries, I'll be doing a lot of practicing before I take it out on the road.

Any thoughts on the pricing? Should I follow KBB or NADA? I can't believe how much they vary.

Old 10-16-2011 | 08:32 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome from Virginia.....

Old 10-16-2011 | 08:34 AM
bobbytouche
|
Novice

Originally Posted by grf000
Welcome from Virginia.....
Thanks bud, glad to be here!

Old 10-16-2011 | 09:07 AM
FXD_One
Cruiser

Welcome from Ontario, Canada!

The training I recieved in the MSC I took was invaluable. Definately worth the $$.

Old 10-16-2011 | 07:10 PM
2012UltraLimited
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome from Vancouver, Canada

Old 10-16-2011 | 07:14 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Welcome to the forum from sunny Arizona......def take the riding course first.

Quick Reply: Trying to get from 0 to 60. TLDR