Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

New guy sport bike owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011 | 07:00 PM
energie
|
Advanced
Default New guy sport bike owner

Hi everyone,
Not sure if I'll get greeted or scolded here but I have a street bike, a 2006 Suzuki GSXR750 and I've been looking to upgrade. I've been thinking down the aisle of another sport bike but then I saw the Iron 883 and I basically fell in love. I love the look of it and I sat on it and it feels good. I'm new to Harleys so forgive me. I've heard that this is more of a girls bike but I still like the look of it, 883 or not. What would everyone recommend?
Getting the Iron 883 and just riding it and enjoing it
Getting the 883 and doing a 1200/1250 kit on it?
Getting something bigger like a Nightster or a Blackline?

I've been riding for 5 almost 6 years and although Harleys are a lot heavier and the physics and handling are different I'm sure I could manage more than a starter bike.

I'd like to stick to the Iron, is there any pro charger options or anything along those power lines.

I'm not hoping to spark up any sportbike/harley hatred, I thought I'd never own a Harley but I have to admit they're nice and thinking of making a switch is a step in the right direction.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by energie; 10-04-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2011 | 07:03 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Welcome to the forum from sunny Arizona.

Old 10-04-2011 | 07:25 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome to the boards. And "Welcome to the club"
You won't get scolded....you've seen the light! Plenty of guys here that own Harleys also have a metric sport bike in the stable.

As for your question to which model to get?
Depends on the answers to some questions.
*How big are you, weight? If smaller, lighter...no prob. If tall and 200+lbs...I'd say step up to a big twin.
*Ever going to ride 2-up? If so...I'd consider going larger for room and comfort and cruising on the highway power.

Yeah..some of the softtail owners look down at us Dyna and Sporty owners....we get the "Hey...my old lady has a bike like that" comments...oh well.

Old 10-04-2011 | 07:29 PM
energie
|
Advanced

I'm 6'0" 170lbs, the gf wants to double up sometimes but hell if I just buy a solo seat then that means she has to get her own.
I missed out on the Demo days here and winter is coming soon but I really don't want to wait until next season to act upon it.

I figured riding 2 up with the weight and all I could just get better shocks and it would be okay.

Also, here in Canada we don't have that side mount license plate stock, can the bigger alberta plates fit on those or do i need to cut it?

Old 10-04-2011 | 07:58 PM
1bulldog
Road Master

Welcome from Texas.

Old 10-04-2011 | 08:01 PM
energie
|
Advanced

Thanks for the welcome everyone, I appreciate it.

Old 10-04-2011 | 08:05 PM
parkergeorge
Cruiser

Welcome. If your not worryied about size I would go with a bigger bike. I wouldn't worry about the size to much since you got some experiance on bikes already. But thats just me. The sporties can be fun bikes and are much cheaper.

Old 10-04-2011 | 08:06 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member

Real men ride Dynas...

HD is whole different experience... Don't expect it to handle and perform like a sport bike...

Good luck...

Old 10-04-2011 | 08:08 PM
energie
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by parkergeorge
Welcome. If your not worryied about size I would go with a bigger bike. I wouldn't worry about the size to much since you got some experiance on bikes already. But thats just me. The sporties can be fun bikes and are much cheaper.
Yeah the price really appealed to me. i could probably get $6000 for my bike and its $8,779 here for an Iron so I'd really only be paying $3000 for a brand new harley, that seems to be the only path I'd go down but I just don't know if the 1200 kit is enough or if the 883 will be fine or if its better not to bother with them and just have fun with it for a few years and upgrade.

I don't do much highway riding.

Thanks everyone.

Old 10-04-2011 | 08:09 PM
energie
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheBlackPharoah
Real men ride Dynas...

HD is whole different experience... Don't expect it to handle and perform like a sport bike...

Good luck...
Oh for sure I don't! I'm just looking for a good fun ride (not that kind either haha.)
Streetbikes are fast but who needs it. I want an overall good city cruiser.

Quick Reply: New guy sport bike owner