Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

New guy sport bike owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011 | 08:10 PM
LucyOnBlack
Road Captain

yah, welcome on board... I'm way new myself.

I'll throw in some comments. I'm on my 3rd Harley, 4th bike. 1st was english.

as YeOldeStoneCat says, what do you need. I had a big old sled of a Shovel, weighed a ton but awesome for cruisin long distance, heavy for shoving around to do a run for groceries or the vid store. I didn't carry anyone, a lot of bike for local, Cadillac for cruising. 2nd bike was a monster, stupid choice, lots of power, looked evil, totally non practical with a bad attitude-short lived! 3rd is my Dyna, lighter, lots of power, easy to manage, comfy for distance and reliable.

Have fun shopping

Old 10-04-2011 | 08:14 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Welcome to the forums.

Old 10-04-2011 | 08:15 PM
energie
|
Advanced

I have a truck and a mustang so I have other transportation for various things. I'm in Canada so since we only have 4 months of riding (good and bad) I don't want to spend too much on a bike. I love the looks of the Iron and I'm sold. I don't need it for long hauls or anything, just cruising around.

I've just never ridden one and I know the 883 is the smallest engine in the Harley lineup so I didn't want to buy the bike not knowing what I'm getting myself into and be disappointed.

Basically what I'm looking at is....

Is it enough power to just cruise around without getting bored of it?

Old 10-04-2011 | 08:38 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member

Welcome aboard from New York.

Old 10-04-2011 | 08:41 PM
LucyOnBlack
Road Captain

hey! I live on the wet coast... and I'm no sugar cube.. 4 months!? I don't have a windshield, I don't have electric heated extra's, I don't wear a face shield.... ... and I'm an idiot... but I'm waaay cool..

lol, a Dyna for you I'd say. Fits what you are asking... then again Black is my fav these days

Old 10-04-2011 | 10:16 PM
Ironhead_spearo
Stage III

I went from a cbr 900 to an 883 several yrs ago. Its just a different experience. Harleys are more about the feel than the rush. Enjoy whatever v twin you end up with.

Old 10-04-2011 | 10:33 PM
Sekhemempet
Advanced

I'm with ya on the looks of the Iron 883... it's a great lookin ride. When I was shopping for my first harley, I was looking at the nightster. I was totally sold on the looks, but when I got to the dealer to check it out in person, I found it to be too small for me... but then again, I'm not a small guy by any means. I felt sorta cramped on it. my 2nd choice was the Dyna Street Bob... sat on it and it just felt 100% better! So that's what I got. Yeah, it's heavier, but sits low and handles great. My advice is to go see them at the dealership.. sit on them, get to know them, take em for a testdrive. and get what YOU want and what feels good to you! Dont listen to the whole "that's a girls bike" crap. If they were girls bikes, they'd come in pink and powder blue. Ultimately, get the bike that calls to you in your dreams... and you'll never be disappointed.

Old 10-04-2011 | 11:23 PM
82ndABN
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome from Fort Irwin California, ride safe

Old 10-04-2011 | 11:30 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by energie
I thought I'd never own a Harley but I have to admit they're nice and thinking of making a switch is a step in the right direction.
Make the switch, you won't regret it. Wish I had done it a long time ago and welcome to the forum.

Old 10-05-2011 | 06:30 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

You're 6'...go to your local dealer and sit on an Iron. And then sit on a Dyna. Go back 'n forth a few times. IMO...you may want to consider the room on a Dyna....hate to see you start feeling the Iron is too small after a month or two of riding.

Budget wise...plenty of used ones around, even at the dealership.

Whichever way you go, enjoy, and ride safe.

Quick Reply: New guy sport bike owner