Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

HI from IA=) yeah for corn fields!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 12:08 AM
antonia02
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HI from IA=) yeah for corn fields!

hey.... so lets see i'm a Antonia (yes a chick) i'm 22, my dads a hard core HD biker (2002? road king). my step dad is a HD guy (1977 XLH sportster 1000)and i'm on my way, or have been on my way. got a year left on my Batchlor degree then gonna head out to grad. school, but on the way i think i'd like to get a bike... not a brand new one but a starter bike, only been a passanger never a diver but I think it's time to switch things up. so any suggestions on a good starter bike?

Old 07-06-2005, 12:15 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Default RE: HI from IA=) yeah for corn fields!

Howdy, welcome to Harley Country. I really don't know what to say about a starter bike because I have seen people start out on several different ones. I've seen a few of the women on this site start out with the Sportys. They aren't as expensive as some of the others and it gives them a chance to get started in the Harley family. If money is a factor, maybe that would be one way to go. Good luck in school.

Old 07-06-2005, 12:56 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome from TN.

I think it's cool you want to ride your own, sounds like you have a lot of passenger seat time, this will help you, and I suggest taking the MSF school. The sporty's are a good starter bike, it all depends on your height, leg length,etc. You want to get a bike that fits you, with your feet firmly on the ground one that you feel comfortable on. My wife rides and she had never even been on one before I got back into riding, she took the MSF school and now is on her second bike.

Go for it girl.

John TN

Old 07-06-2005, 02:57 AM
antonia02
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: John TN

Welcome from TN.

I think it's cool you want to ride your own, sounds like you have a lot of passenger seat time, this will help you, and I suggest taking the MSF school. The sporty's are a good starter bike, it all depends on your height, leg length,etc. You want to get a bike that fits you, with your feet firmly on the ground one that you feel comfortable on. My wife rides and she had never even been on one before I got back into riding, she took the MSF school and now is on her second bike.

Go for it girl.

John TN

well i'm decently tall... 5'9" about 185ish (not to big not to little either HA) so i fit most bikes pretty well.

this is gonna sound dumb but what does MSF stand for? i did plan on taking a class though.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:16 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MSF = Motorcycle Safety Foundation. They offer classes (mainly for beginners) but good refresher material for all in their basic class. They also offer an experienced rider 1 day class.
In the basic class they provide the bikes and helmets. In IL it is a 20 hour class offered over a weekend, 5 mornings or 5 evenings. It costs $20 and the $20 is refundable if you complete the class. (Each state is different in price, but similar in structure and vary similar in content.)
Now, having said all of that, Welcome and happy hunting in your quest for a bike. Selection will depend a lot on your finances and how you plan to ride. Around town or long trips home every couple months, etc. Good to have you aboard. Art

Old 07-06-2005, 10:17 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P.S. Google Motorcycle Safety Foundation or MSF and you should be able to find info on IA. Art

Old 07-06-2005, 10:18 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

MSF is the motorcycle safety foundation riders course

http://www.msf-usa.org/

Old 07-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome from Texas!

Sounds like you have the pedigree to ride.The MSF is the way to go due to the fact you learn how to ride safley and you walk away from it with your license and confidence.As far as the bike,I'de pick the Dyna Lowrider because it is a good long term bike and it has a low center of gravity but that's just My opinion.

Good luck and enjoy the site.

Craig

Old 07-06-2005, 11:24 PM
CobraKid
Road Captain

Welcome to the Forum there young lady!!! Take the safety course, get the bike ya want and Ride Ride Ride, Enjoy !!!!!

Old 07-06-2005, 11:43 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the forums from the Arizona Highlands. My $0.02: Take the MSF course, rent, then buy.

Quick Reply: HI from IA=) yeah for corn fields!