Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

NooB Here With A Question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006 | 02:09 PM
randy78045
|
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default NooB Here With A Question...

Hi everyone... i just bought an XL-50 Sportster (Anniversary Model) about two weeks ago and am luving it, but it needs to be cleaned up a bit... Here's the stupid question... Should i just wash the bike like i would a car? Hose it down, wash with soapy water, rinse and chamois? I am concerned with the open engine, wiring, etc that this might not be the way to go... Any advice for the NooB here?

Old 10-29-2006 | 02:44 PM
gdbro4
Cruiser
Default RE: NooB Here With A Question...

You can use a product called S100, sold at Harley and bike dealers. Spray on, hose off. Then I use my shopvac attachments to blow off all water, or you can use a leaf blower, than chamois off residual water. I wouldn't advise using shop air, because of the possibility of blowing oil or ? onto bike paint.

Old 10-29-2006 | 02:56 PM
Doodad
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome from Colorado, lots of answers in the detailing section.

Old 10-29-2006 | 03:17 PM
cjmilez
Ultimate HDF Member

Welcome to HDF from Longview, TX!!!
[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 10-29-2006 | 03:35 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

Using your regular run of the mill garden hose won't harm your bike. Keep in mind your bike gets water blasted at it much harder than that when riding in the rain. I often take mine to the carwash and wash it down even with the pressurized water spray making sure I don't stand too close with that high pressure wand. I would't spray too closely with a high pressure spray anywhere near seals or light fixtures..(that pressurized water at close range could cause a problem) ... But, spraying to wet it down and rinse it off, is fine as long as you don't get so close that you see the paint starting to peel. LOL

BTW..welcome, and never be afraid to ask questions...There's no such thing as a stupid question....well, ya I have heard of stupid questions, but your's wasn't one of them, I mean.... did that come out right? Ah, nuts.... never mind. You know what I mean.

Old 10-29-2006 | 03:42 PM
ironhorse
Road Master

Welcome the the forum, from Northern Indiana.

Iron Horse

Old 10-29-2006 | 03:58 PM
DHSCT
Road Warrior

Welcome from Connecticut

Old 10-29-2006 | 06:43 PM
rharrison
Road Master

ORIGINAL: randy78045

Hi everyone... i just bought an XL-50 Sportster (Anniversary Model) about two weeks ago and am luving it, but it needs to be cleaned up a bit... Here's the stupid question... Should i just wash the bike like i would a car? Hose it down, wash with soapy water, rinse and chamois? I am concerned with the open engine, wiring, etc that this might not be the way to go... Any advice for the NooB here?
Welcome from the Home of your Sportster (Kansas City) and a fellow XL-50 rider. Enjoy the bike and yes, you can wash it like a car (using automotive soap) lots of water and blow-dry the bike after you are done.

Old 10-29-2006 | 06:44 PM
rharrison
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rharrison

ORIGINAL: randy78045

Welcome from the Home of your Sportster (Kansas City) and a fellow XL-50 rider. Enjoy the bike and yes, you can wash it like a car (using automotive soap) lots of water and blow-dry the bike after you are done.
PS...please add your bike's color and number on the XL-50 post under the Sportster forum.

Old 10-29-2006 | 06:48 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Welcome from INDY

Quick Reply: NooB Here With A Question...