Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Hello, new to forums.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005 | 11:14 PM
shewolf
|
Cruiser
Default Hello, new to forums.

Hi, I am new to the site. I have been riding for the past 3 years. This May I got a 2005 Softail Deluxe that I absolutely love! Just turned 1275 miles this weekend. Prior to that I tracked down and bought the 1999 Dyna Super Glide that my husband had sold to buy a 2002 Softail Heritage to ride two up. We went all over. To Sturgis in 2001 on the Dyna. 9 days of touring Canada on the Softail in July 2002 for our honeymoon. And alot of NW touring in Oregon, Idaho and Washington as well as down through Nevada and LA to visit his parents. Now THAT was an interesting trip......

I had never been on a motorcyle until I started dating my husband in 2001. We were married in June of 2002. He was killed by a cager while we were down for the Laughlin RiverRun April 2004.
I wasn't sure that I would ever get back on a bike......

Gary LOVED to ride and had been doing it since he was 9 years old when he got a Cushman scooter to deliver papers. He was hit the day I bought my first Harley, a 2003 Softail Standard from Mother Road Harley in Kingman, AZ. I was riding a Yamaha VStar. He was so proud that I had gotten my first Harley. A guy in a hurry turned left in front of him on our way back to the Bullhead City, Laughlin Area. I had been riding with him that morning and for some reason opted to ride in the truck hauling my new bike back to Laughlin for delivery. It was cold and windy that day. I asked if he minded since I was cold. He didn't and I remarked to the guy driving the trailer that, that was one great guy as I watched him pull out of the parking lot on the Heritage.

Mother Road Harley was wonderful! When I was still being told that he was going to wake up, they not only took the Standard back, but also offered to buy both the Yamaha and Honda I also had down there so I wouldn't have to worry about getting them home.

I have found the motorcycle community to be very close knit. And Harley truly is a family. Both of my daughters and I were taught by Gary to ride and we continue to do so. His motto truly was,
Live to Ride, Ride to Live.

Old 07-04-2005 | 11:28 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Hello, new to forums.

Welcome home!

I hate to hear about your guy like this, but I am sure he would be proud that you are riding again.

A lot of us have big shoulders here, if you ever need someone to lean on.

Old 07-04-2005 | 11:49 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Howdy, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your hubby. You're right, we are a close knit group that will help each other out if necessary. If you need help sometime, maybe we can be of assistance. Enjoy the ride.

Old 07-05-2005 | 12:23 AM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Welcome!! What a sad, but inspiring story... Truly a great husband and father, I hope I can be 1/2 that to my family!!
As you said, we are one big family, from the local riding groups, the local HD Dealer to all of the HOG chapters.
Ride to live and Live to ride....

Old 07-05-2005 | 12:49 AM
cbro69
Cruiser

Welcome, you're with friends.

Old 07-05-2005 | 01:03 AM
Drugdawg
Cruiser

If it isn't too hard for you, could you post a pic of your husband on his bike. I would like to put a face with the man that I think a lot of now. He seems like he would have been cool to ride with. Casey

Old 07-05-2005 | 02:31 AM
fisherdude
Cruiser

Hi Katie,
I'm sorry for your loss. You sound like a strong women, my hats off to you. Welcome to our forum. Bob

Old 07-05-2005 | 03:10 AM
Blazer
Intermediate

As an avid motorcyclist for 53 years, your story brought tears to my eyes. I also started on a Cushman scooter delivering papers. I am so sorry for your loss of Gary.

As repeated above, you (and your daughters) are among friends, so ask if you ever need help with your Harley.

Old 07-05-2005 | 10:16 AM
gadzooks
Intermediate

Welcome - it is a pleasure to hear from someone that TRUELY loves this "adventure" we call riding!! I am so sorry for your loss, but I can see your husband's testament living through you and your daughters - God Bless.

Old 07-05-2005 | 10:16 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome to the forum, truely a great loss and great tragity. Although he will always be missed, i'm glad to see that your passion for riding remains as stong as you have been. My sympathy for your loss. Take care.

Quick Reply: Hello, new to forums.