Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Beginning Rider - New to site

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Volfan615
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginning Rider - New to site

Ok Don't laugh.... I'm 46 years old and have never ridden but have recently decided to give it a try. I always wanted one when I was younger but the parents always said no. My wife has been talking about getting a bike for years and yesterday we visited one of the local Harley dealers to look at them. After swinging my leg across a Softail I knew this was something I really wanted to try.

We are both going to sign up for a local MSF class in a couple of weeks and then see what happens from there.

The dealer yesterday asked me If I had ever ridden and asked what type of riding we thought we would be doing. He recommended a Softail and had me sit on a 03 Heritage Anniversary Ed. I always thought that you shouljd start smaller and move up but he didn't think there would be a problem starting out with a softail especially due to my size (6'3" 280). What do you guys think?

Old 07-04-2005, 04:40 PM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Beginning Rider - New to site

Welcome to the Forum. Not laughing at all. Your story makes perfect sense to us.
My thoughts...Don't let a salesman tell you what you want. Can you just start out on a big bile...most definitely. If that's what you want, you'll never be satisfied til you get there.
What I would do:
Go to the various forum threads on the models and read about them.
Visit other dealers. Sit on a lot of bikes.
Check out the H-D Home forum w/ write-ups, pics and specs of all the models.
Take the MSF class (great idea)
After you take that and get your certification, you can rent the bike(s) you're thinking about. Try that.
Take it slow at first.
Prepare to become totally obsessed with Harley's.
Prepare for the time of your life for you and your wife.
From what it sounds like, you'd prob. better get prepared for your wife wanting her own bike as well.
Happiness is a journey, not a destination. Most of us just happen to think the best way to make that journey is on a Harley.
Best wishes and keep us posted. Art

Old 07-04-2005, 04:43 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Hey, I think it is a great thing and once you ride for just a little bit you will wonder why you waited!!
You are doing this right by taking the begineer riding course as there are several of us around that rode for 25+ years and then took the course... I am 6'3" and 225 pounds and the Heritage should fit you just fine, especially if your wife plans on riding behind.
If you do get a 'newer' bike, be sure to go to some big box parking lots after you complete the course and just take your time practicing slow driving and manuevering as that is where most rookies have difficulty.

By the way, Welcome from South Texas!!!

Old 07-04-2005, 07:28 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome from TN.

A lot of good advice above, you won't regret getting into riding a bike, it opens up a lot of trips/rides you would never take in your cager plus the feeling you get riding is one that I find I really enjoy more each ride or trip I take. Of course I'm not obsessed with it or nothing. AceArt forgot one thing, this forum is'nt addicting[sm=type.gif], it's just a special place for people just like yourself to share your Harley passion and experiences, great people here and super info available.

If you have any questions on anything fire away, I'm sure someone will know the answer.

Good Luck

John TN

Old 07-04-2005, 07:32 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Howdy, welcome to the forum. I'm not laughing either. I'm 54 and about a couple of months ago, I bought my first Harley. I hadn't been on a bike for close to 25 years. What I would recommend is renting a few models and see which one felt the best to you. That's the advice that has been given to others and the same advice would apply to you. Let us know how it works out. Enjoy the ride.

Old 07-04-2005, 08:45 PM
RV245
3rd Gear

What everyone else has said. I just turned 50 last month and just bought a used 2000 Sportster 1200C. Ok, it's not for me but I couldn't pass up the deal and have been riding it. My wife and I had bikes about 25 years ago. We wanted to start riding again. I kept my cycle endorsement up to date but she didn't. Anyways this deal came up and what she wanted. In the meantime I gt to ride it until she takes the classes I'm 6'4" and 240lbs so it's probably funny seeing me riding it. But I am looking for a bike for next spring and I will be sitting on bikes at dealerships and renting some to get the one I want.

Old 07-04-2005, 10:13 PM
CobraKid
Road Captain

Nobody's laughing at ya here!!!! I rode when I was in my 20's, had kids etc etc !!!! Didn't start ridin again until I was 52, bought me a Honda Spirit to get back into ridin and now am the proud owner of my dream bike!!! Check out all the Harley's, yours will wink at ya and you'll know in a heartbeat she's the one!!!!!!!!!! I don't think you would have any problem with a softail, just take it easy, get aquainted, and before long you'll be ridin her like ya stole her!!!! Have Fun, Enjoy the Forum and as always "Ride Safe"!!!!!!!

Old 07-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Volfan615
Tourer

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I feel a little better about jumping into this at 46 knowing others have done it.

AceArt, I think you may be right..... the wife is going to want her own bike. I don't think she is the type that's going to want to ride on the back.

JohnTN, my other passion is Corvettes and I spend a lot of time on corvetteforums.com and know how addicting that site can be. I can only imagine that this will be the same.

Thanks again!! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 07-05-2005, 02:37 AM
fisherdude
Cruiser

Hey Rick,
You have heard that 46 is the same as 26 when you ride a Harley??? Congrats and welcome to the forum. Bob

Old 07-05-2005, 03:02 AM
Blazer
Intermediate

I think you just opened up a brand new world for you and your wife. Welcome to the forum and the world of (Harley) motorcycles. I have been riding motorcycles for 53 years and I have owned many brands,types,sizes and colors. And I have absolutely loved every minute and every mile of riding, as did my wife until medical conditions precluded her from riding as a passenger.

In the past 10 years alone, I have owned 5 Harleys (one Ultra Classic, two Dyna Low Riders, and two Softail Heritages), as well as a Honda Goldwing, a Yamaha Silverado and a Suzuki Intruder. My favorite (and current bike) is definitely the Heritage. On it, I can ride the challenging roads here in Arkansas, or I can easily pack it for a 1500 mile trip.

If your wife plans to eventually get her own bike (I recommend a Low Rider), then the Heritage would be a great bike for you. However, if you are going to end up riding two-up on long trips, then you will probably want to evolve to a full dresser (Classic or Ultra Classic). But IMHO, the dresser is too big to learn/practice on - I would stick to a Softail or a Low Rider until you feel comfortable. For your size, I would avoid a Sportster, else you will be resting your chin on your knees as you ride. IMHO, neither is a Sportster a good bike for your wife - vibration and height.

Again, welcome!

Quick Reply: Beginning Rider - New to site