Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Learning to ride on a Road King Custom? Advisable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 01:21 PM
UncleMurdoch
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning to ride on a Road King Custom? Advisable?

I'm a 37 year old who's looking to buy a Road King Custom by 2010 (gotta save the cash). I love that bike and really want to ride. I have very little motorcycle experience, however, and want to get some opinions. Is it wise to learn on such a heavy, powerful bike? Can I learn to ride without laying it down or otherwise destroying it? Am I just asking for trouble and damage to such a beautiful model? I plan on taking the Rider's Edge courses before buying, and I have no desire for crazy speed. I have excellent balance (I'm a unicyclist) and good upper body strength. What's the group consensus?

I've been told that I may want to get a smaller bike for the experience, but I'm barely justifying the Road King ambitions, much less a series of lesser bikes.

What's the opinion, realistically? Give it to me straight.

thanks,

ken

Old 10-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Legendary6301
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Learning to ride on a Road King Custom? Advisable?

Yes, Harley's are big and bulky. Especially and Road King Custom. If you have limited riding experience my suggestion would be to learn on a smaller bike. You don't want to spend a boat load of money on your "dream bike" with minimal experience and then drop it or get in an accident. You will be shelling out more money to get your bike fixed, provided it can be, and you won't be able to ride since the bike is in the shop and hopefully you won't be hurt. Buy a smaller used bike, like a Sportster 1200 or 883. Get confident on it, spruce it up, sell it and then get your "dream bike."

Just my opnion...

Confidence and safety are key when riding.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:18 PM
rpt63
Tourer

I agree with Legendary6301, RK's are big and some what heavy about 725lbs. I went from a 450cc to the road king and that was a big jump, and I been riding for 20 years. If you don't what to spend the money on a 883 or sportster1200 you could buy something like a 750-800cc a honda ,kaw,suz and that would get you some riding time in until you are ready for the RK. Good luck and safe riding.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:10 PM
ironhorse
Road Master

Welcome to the forum, from Northern Indiana.

Iron Horse

Old 10-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

My first motorcycle was/is a 02 DWG in the sig. I picked it up on July the 6th.

I took my MSF course and I ride cautiously. I haven't had any problems to this point. Couple of near misses, maybe .

I don't regret buying this bike as a first. I recommend you get what you like, slap some Engine guards on it and learn to ride it.

I'm not a graceful individual with excellent balance or anything. I'm a big brutish guy. I would have liked a little more coordination on some of the learning.

Todays HD's are extremely balanced. If you can afford to play around with cash and get a different bike to learn on, then consider it. If not, buy what you want and learn to ride it safely.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:02 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to HDF from Central New York. Take the MSF course first

Old 10-19-2006, 05:14 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have two bikes. Sporty and E-Glide, there is a world of difference between them but I can damn near do the same on each one. You can learn on the King. In the mean time, why not buy a good older used one. Prices are dropping on them now since the new 2007 with all the upgrades. Besides, if you scratch and dent and older bike you won't feel so bad. In the mean time, you'll be riding and having fun.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:38 PM
ridgerunner
Tourer

Hi,
I'm 57 years and just started riding last year. I bought a Honda VTX 1300 Retro, which weighed about 650 lbs and the first few days I was scared to death of it and road it around in the driveway until I said "look big boy, ya gotta get this thing out of the driveway or get training wheels. I played with it a few days aroung the house and eventually got it out on the road for short trips but I really took it easy and took no chances. I live in a neighborhood with few house and little traffic and I more or less learnrd there. I was taking a fairly steep up hill right turn and stalled it. I'm a big guy and I was ashamed that I couldn't pull it back up while straddling the bike so I had to set it down gently on the pipes on the right side. No damage. I also bought one of those "Motor Man" traing CD's which I watched a few times and I took the MSF basic course. Last June me and a friend who is a little older than me and had just bought an 06 Road King Classic, rode 300 miles from Cashiers NC to Charleston SC. Neither of us really had any business doing that at our stage of experience but we did. We took back roads and not the interstate. A 5 hr car ride took us 10.5 hrs on the back roads but we enjoyed the scenery and stopped a lot due to Butt burn and cramps. We hit Charleston at afternoon rush hr which was not fun. I was physically and mentally exhausted when we got there. The trip home was better a few days later. The best advise is to take it easy and ride. Take the course. I traded my Honda, which was a great bike for a new 06 Road King Custom a few days after we returned. I always wanted a Harley anyway. I bought the cheaper Honda to see if I really wanted to ride a motorcycle..I do and I really enjoy the Harley. I stll take no chances and ride like an old man in a Cadillac but I'm getting better. Once you get used to the size of a Road King you will wonder why you even worried about it. Rent one after you take the course and see how it goes. Good luck and be safe.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:44 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome from INDY

Old 10-19-2006, 07:45 PM
ridgerunner
Tourer

Hi,
I'm 57 years and just started riding last year. I bought a Honda VTX 1300 Retro, which weighed about 650 lbs and the first few days I was scared to death of it and road it around in the driveway until I said "look big boy, ya gotta get this thing out of the driveway or get training wheels. I played with it a few days aroung the house and eventually got it out on the road for short trips but I really took it easy and took no chances. I live in a neighborhood with few house and little traffic and I more or less learnrd there. I was taking a fairly steep up hill right turn and stalled it. I'm a big guy and I was ashamed that I couldn't pull it back up while straddling the bike so I had to set it down gently on the pipes on the right side. No damage. I also bought one of those "Motor Man" traing CD's which I watched a few times and I took the MSF basic course. Last June me and a friend who is a little older than me and had just bought an 06 Road King Classic, rode 300 miles from Cashiers NC to Charleston SC. Neither of us really had any business doing that at our stage of experience but we did. We took back roads and not the interstate. A 5 hr car ride took us 10.5 hrs on the back roads but we enjoyed the scenery and stopped a lot due to Butt burn and cramps. We hit Charleston at afternoon rush hr which was not fun. I was physically and mentally exhausted when we got there. The trip home was better a few days later. The best advise is to take it easy and ride. Take the course. I traded my Honda, which was a great bike for a new 06 Road King Custom a few days after we returned. I always wanted a Harley anyway. I bought the cheaper Honda to see if I really wanted to ride a motorcycle..I do and I really enjoy the Harley. I stll take no chances and ride like an old man in a Cadillac but I'm getting better. Once you get used to the size of a Road King you will wonder why you even worried about it. Rent one after you take the course and see how it goes. Good luck and be safe.

Quick Reply: Learning to ride on a Road King Custom? Advisable?