Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Learning to ride on a Road King Custom? Advisable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 10:55 PM
hogjockey
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Learning to ride on a Road King Custom? Advisable?

I'm a new member to the forum, but have been riding big H-D's since 1969. I'm a retired motorcylce cop. We always trained on the bikes we were going to ride, when I left that was the Road King. Many of our new guys had no riding experience at all, so we used old banged up training bikes. Some of our better new riders were guys who had never ridden before. Probably because they had no bad habits we had to break. Yes, you absolutely do need to take an MSF or Rider's Edge course. Even with a smaller bike the same rules of mechanical physics still apply. If you're coordinated and in reasonably good shape I think then you could go right to the RK. Yes, it is bigger and heavier, but once you get used to it it'll feel like an extension of your body and you'll be amazed the paces you'll be able to put it through. One really good thing about the RK is that the bags and windshield are detachable and you don't have to worry about dinging them up. Also, take off the mirrors, front fender trim and put radiator hose on the engine guards and saddle bag guards with duct tape. Find a big old empty shopping center parking lot somewhere and just get used to the darn thing doing a lot of slow speed stuff particularly smooth starts and stops. Nothing says amateur more than a rider "walking" his motorcycle with both feet down at a stop light. You will drop it probably. It is heavy, but there are several good techniques for picking it up without hurting your back. You'll be surprised how quickly you feel comfortable on this motorcycle. By the way, don't go alone, bring a buddy 'cause accidents can happen even at slow speeds (I found that out the hard way). Harley's have some problems (I have an 07 Road King now and am dealing with the tranny noise and overheating issues), but handling is not one of them. In that regard they are very good. Good luck and remember to keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:20 AM
SteelPony
Road Master

Welcome to the HDF from Colorado!

peace!

Old 10-23-2006, 01:10 PM
_Locutus
Road Master

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to HDForums from Orange County, California [sm=biker2.gif]

Keep the shiny side up!

Another perfect day in paradise. THE best place on Earth to RIDE!!!

Old 10-23-2006, 04:10 PM
UncleMurdoch
Stage II

Thank you for all your kind and deatiled responses! I was hoping for such opinions that I could weigh and balance.

I hope to be on two wheels soon.

ken

Old 10-23-2006, 04:54 PM
MARCUSBEAR
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from South Florida

Old 10-23-2006, 04:55 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have EVER ridden a m/c in the past, then getting on a R/K shouldnt be much of a problem. I went thru the Police M/C school a few months back, and one of the Officers in the school, had NEVER ridden a motorcycle before. While he didn't successfully complete the school (the high speed brake and escape course did him in...couldnt stop locking the back tire), he DID complete the rest of the course successfully.

It' up to you, in the end. One side of the coin says buy a cheap starter bike, and that way if you find out that you don't have the skills to ride, you don't have alot of money invested (or crashed). The OTHER side fo the coin says "Buy cheap, and you buy twice". Up to you, but good luck in which ever way you decide to go.