Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Hello from Illinois

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011 | 10:10 AM
willcatchum
Intermediate

Hey Prophet, I have an 08 Road King and love it. My advice is to be sure you get a King tour pack with the quick detach setup. Then you have as much storage as the Electra Glides do. It comes off in less than a minute to. You can get it color match so it matches your bike. It also has the back rest for your wife. My wife loves it and says it is the only way to go. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum!

Old 03-19-2011 | 10:13 AM
twofish
Road Master

Welcome from Central Illinois +1

twofish
http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/...ds%203%202011/

Old 03-19-2011 | 05:39 PM
Gator454
Elite HDF Member

Welcome to the forum from southeastern Michigan. The riding season is just starting to open up here in the Great Lakes Area.

Old 03-24-2011 | 01:43 PM
The Prophet
|
Cruiser
Default A new Road King Classic on the way!

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the excellent comments and suggestions.

I just ordered (actually Monday this week, 21 March) a brand new 2011 Road King Classic.

Black in color, HD Hammock seat upgrade for the Ms.

Also the King tour pack trunk for behind the seat (removable, because it's the only backrest set-up with armrests. Also for the Ms.

The Wife had Spinal surgery done last year, and she's rightfully paranoid about re-injury. Cushy Hammock seat, backrest and armrests should take care of that. I can remove when solo ridin'.

Dealer is special ordering this, as there were none in stock. No problem, as it's still pretty bad outside. About 30 today here in northern Illinois, and rain and snow actually forecast for the next few days.

I still have the ol' trusty Bonneville until the RKC arrives. Dealer estimated about 5-6 weeks from Milwaukee factory, therefore early/mid may arrival, so this will be the longest April of my life.

I'll forego the Dealer pro's/con's until everything is fully delivered. So far, great experience although the chosen dealer was my FOURTH choice after the first three gave me total B.S. Really sad. They actually told me it was IMPOSSIBLE to get a RKC the way I wanted, but they could sell me something similar, but slightly more expensive off the showroom floor. Baloney.

Anyway, I'm a totally happy guy, can't wait until May!!!!

Bob

Edit / Update: I must have misunderstood the Sales guy. The bike is actually being built in York, Pennsylvania, not Milwaukee (maybe I assumed that?). As of today (March 25) the ship date is set for May 20th. Sorry for the mis-info.

Bob

Last edited by The Prophet; 03-25-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Added update note at bottom.
Old 03-24-2011 | 03:32 PM
ja57
Seasoned HDF Member

Which dealer did you end up going with.

Old 03-24-2011 | 08:52 PM
cornking
Tourer

yeah, what he said.

Old 03-24-2011 | 09:09 PM
Lunch Meat
Tourer

Welcome from southwest IOWA

Old 03-24-2011 | 09:16 PM
LadyDeluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

Congratulations on the new RKC and welcome to the HDforums.

Old 03-25-2011 | 08:09 AM
The Prophet
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ja57
Which dealer did you end up going with.
Kegel H-D, in Rockford, Illinois. My wife and I had ridden out there more than a few times over the years to have breakfast in the attached Restaurant, and then linger around the store a little. Folks there always were helpful and respectful even if they knew you weren't buying, just "loitering".

It's roughly an hours ride, but I'm used to that as my old Triumph dealer was almost 1.5 hours away, up in Janesville. I do oil and filter changes, routine maintenance and any minor repairs myself, and I also know you can take your bike anywhere for service, etc. so that's another matter.

Right now, I'm looking for someone who would cover the King Tour Pak with leather to match the saddlebags. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks once again for all the helpful info gathered here. Great Forum.

Is it May yet?

Bob

Old 03-25-2011 | 04:08 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

A warm welcome from Western New York. We hope you enjoy
your experience here.
Snarly

Quick Reply: Hello from Illinois