Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

How to Buy that new ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011 | 11:29 PM
wooly1
|
Advanced
Default How to Buy that new ride

Hello everybody. im new and green to this forum.
i have been riding bikes for 40 yrs and now i am going to buy my first harley i am buying a 2011 road king classic by the end of the month. what i would like to know is how do i get a good deal ? i am from south west washington state. and i will buy from any dealer in oregon or washington. what can you tell me to do that will help me get the best bang for my buck. i thank all of you for your help and hope to meet alot of you passing down the winding road.
thanks wooly1

Old 03-09-2011 | 11:45 PM
lexington
Novice

I guess that it depends on where you buy it at. I just bought a new Superglide and looked at a lot of dealers. I mean I really looked, talked prices, didn't really get into the test ride thing though.
A salesman won't come down any off MSRP unless you are serious and ready to buy today.
I bought mine from Tilley in Salisbury, NC and it took about 4 hours to get the salesman down off MSRP, but I got it down.
Good luck

Old 03-09-2011 | 11:46 PM
FatBoyVeteran
Road Captain

Check all the dealers in the area. Check for internet specials, or advertised sales. Take any info/quotes you receive or find and print them out. Make the dealers fight for your business.

And don't back down. I walked out on my salesman twice and on the day I bought the bike, I walked out a few times until I got the price I wanted to get. Was even in the truck and pulling out of the lot at one point.

Make them throw in extras for free. Like free 1000 mile service is good.... Free helmet or something like that. Hell, for a $20K bike, I'll bet they can spare the $30 t-shirt at the minimum.....ya know?

I got a reward card preloaded with $100 so I can do some shopping when I want and get some cash back off the purchase. Or put it towards parts/service...whatever I wanted.

Get parts installed and covered under warranty that you want. Gotta be done within a certain amount of time to be covered.

And most importantly. Make sure when they give you a price....that its the price. OTD pricing should be out the door.....not out the door, but only if you don't want this or that.

When I went to buy mine, I had the price in range and was happy....then say down with the finance dude and all of a sudden, gotta add GAP coverage and extended warranties....ran the price right back up. So I walked out. Made em come down more on the bike to offset the costs of GAP.

The extended warranty I passed on. I got a good Indy shop, plus I am a fairly good mechanic. And you can always purchase an extended warranty after you buy the bike, you just won't be able to finance the cost of the warranty for the term of the loan.

Old 03-09-2011 | 11:48 PM
FatBoyVeteran
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lexington
I guess that it depends on where you buy it at. I just bought a new Superglide and looked at a lot of dealers. I mean I really looked, talked prices, didn't really get into the test ride thing though.
A salesman won't come down any off MSRP unless you are serious and ready to buy today.
I bought mine from Tilley in Salisbury, NC and it took about 4 hours to get the salesman down off MSRP, but I got it down.
Good luck

Dude, your in Lexington? I'm 10 minutes down the road.

We got it good.....a lot of dealers within reasonable driving distance.

Old 03-10-2011 | 12:31 AM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member

Welcome from Northern Illinois !!!

Old 03-10-2011 | 12:42 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Welcome from NW Mississippi!

Know exactly what you want and don't want.

Have your financing lined up. Unless you are paying cash, the interest rate can have a major affect on the actual price you are paying. Shopping the financing can usually save more $ than any savings you can get from the dealer on the financed price.

Find out what the bike you want is going for. Then talk to the dealers on your list and let them know what you want and what you will pay. Let them know they don't need to "sell" you anything, you are already "sold", you are just giving them a chance to trade your $ for the bike you want.

Old 03-10-2011 | 02:16 AM
Evoluvin
6th Gear

Congrats!

Old 03-10-2011 | 05:09 AM
jooles7009
Intermediate

i just bought a 2011 sportster 1200 custom last week and the dealer wouldn't budge from the msrp. i asked for them to throw in the 1st service and engine guards of which they had no problem doing. be creative and see what else they are willing to do for your business. good luck!

Old 03-10-2011 | 05:43 AM
ja57
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome from Illinois. Check each dealer out with what you want so you can compare.

Old 03-10-2011 | 05:56 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member

Welcome aboard from New York. Best thing to do is shop around and see what they'll do for you.

Quick Reply: How to Buy that new ride