Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

vin altered

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 03:01 PM
sosick
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vin altered

I'm in Houston TX.In Nov I bought a 1980 sportster. when I went to have the title transfered they said it had a legal restraint on it and ZZI had to have it inspected by auto thief devision when I took it in for inspection today they keep it
saying the Vin had been altered and they had to "Pull microfilm" I'm scared if I do nothing they are just going to consider it confiscated and never get back in touch with me. It wasn't a Harley Vin but it was the same number that was on the TX title. original title says Vin # make HD model MC
I figured since all the #'s were the same there wouldn't be a problem. They said Wait a couple weeks. Anybody out there have any advice on how I should proceed?
Thanks

Old 01-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master

Do you have a lawyer you can talk to?

If I was the "owner" or a motorcycle that is possibly a stolen vehicle, I know a lawyer would be one of the first calls I'd make. Probably even before taking it in to be inspected.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

On occation the wrong info can be entered into NCIC. If it is an old entry, the manufactures codes could have changed. Some PD's enter the info and do not update. I would contact who ever is holding the bike for a status update. And see if they will tell you the originating agency for the stolen report and contact them. Ride s
afe.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

You should also get some type of receipt for the bike, if you had to leave it at the DMV. I had a snowmobile stolen years ago & we found it - reported to Sheriff & they siezed as evidence against thief. They gave me a receipt w/snowmobile information & I used it to re-claim the sled when they were done w/it.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not want to assume. But if you purchased the motorcycle from someone, now is the time to start keeping record of everything going on. This will help in the event it is a stolen vehicle. That way, you have some records to give to a lawyer to get your money back from the sale....that is if the sell knew it was stolen.

The VIN very well could have been entered wrong, but highly unlikely, it would have been re-entered to verify and insure the correct numbers were entered.

Good Luck with all of this and I hope you come out ahead.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:54 PM
sosick
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Curlybill
On occation the wrong info can be entered into NCIC. If it is an old entry, the manufactures codes could have changed. Some PD's enter the info and do not update. I would contact who ever is holding the bike for a status update. And see if they will tell you the originating agency for the stolen report and contact them. Ride s
afe.
Thats just it. in Texas the title must be on blue paper to be transferable not salvage or whatever. It is a blue title with a Vin that matches the bike and the motor so TX had to issue this # before I don't understand why there would be a restraint on it they are saying it's not a original factory # which it isn't but why is it so legit if its not? How is a consumer suppose to know if there are no red flags. I'll keep you informed on how it goes.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 PM
sosick
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Iceman24
You should also get some type of receipt for the bike, if you had to leave it at the DMV. I had a snowmobile stolen years ago & we found it - reported to Sheriff & they siezed as evidence against thief. They gave me a receipt w/snowmobile information & I used it to re-claim the sled when they were done w/it.
I asked for a receipt. He said we don't give out receipts, he did give me copies of the paper work and his business card. I'm 95% sure it's not stolen I just think they need keep better records the Vin had to be changed by TX. when it entered the state the first time. I think they must have reissued the Vin and then forgot I mean the #'s match. Waiting impatiently. Thanks for the moral support.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 PM
racerdj
Club Member

Welcome to the Forum from Indiana waiting on Spring to arrive early!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 PM
sosick
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Ribaldmanikin
Do you have a lawyer you can talk to?

If I was the "owner" or a motorcycle that is possibly a stolen vehicle, I know a lawyer would be one of the first calls I'd make. Probably even before taking it in to be inspected.
Yea, I should have let a attorney handle the whole transfer. but didn't think I could afford it Let me know if you got the number for one I need it.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Miz Roo
Road Warrior

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Good luck, sosick! We're all rooting for you, please keep us informed.

Quick Reply: vin altered