Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Quest to buy A Forty Eight: Kind of Corny but can't sleep

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Iamlegend21087
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quest to buy A Forty Eight: Kind of Corny but can't sleep

Hey everyone,
My names adam, I am 23 and I am writing to you from cape cod. I do not own a bike as of yet but the itch which has turned in an obsession started six months ago. I saw an add in a magazine for the Forty Eight and it caught my eye with its dark and retro looks. Having been a car guy all my life and a mustang maniac I just could not ignore the 48s looks and I found my self looking up every piece of info I could scrounge up on google and decided to head to my local dealership to actually see it in the flesh and that has sealed the deal. At 23 I am not where I thought I'd be in life. In2005 I enrolled in Mass Maritime Academy and have struggled the entire way through, in haste to finally graduate in my 5th year,this past summer, I unwisely overload my last semester and did horrible across the boards, resulting in expulsion. I was devastated at the news, not only did I have no degree but no job. Life seemed to be pretty glum. My GPA had been thrashed and I realized I would have to take multiple classes throughout the next couple of years to repair it to even have a hope from graduating from Mass Maritime. When I calmed my thoughts and realized I was still healthy, had a roof over head, and supportive friends I decided to make a change in my life. I have enrolled at a Community college taking one class and focusing all my energy into getting an A, while also working weekends at Cumberland Farms. Then this week I got a call from a company I applied to and said they had an opening and I have an interview tomorrow. With this news my mind immediately went to the forty eight. With the money from the new job I could put most of it away and use the weekend job money an save every penny until June to drop a large down payment. I am very anxious for the interview and cannot sleep so I figured I would jot my thoughts down here even if no one reads them. Something appeals to me deep down about riding. The freedom, the thrill, and the ability to reflect on everything while its just you and the road. I cant get rid of the image in my mind of myself swinging a leg over a Brilliant Silver Forty Eight and going wherever the road takes me or whereever the peanut tank runs of gas. Hopefully my quest comes to a successful conclusion, I look forward talking to you and picking your brains as a new time rider. Thanks for reading and wish me luck.

Adam

Last edited by Iamlegend21087; 11-04-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:48 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with everything and welcome from New Mexico!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:51 AM
racerdj
Club Member

Nice intro! Welcome to the Forum from Indy!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:04 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Adam, I'm 46 now, but had been dreaming of owning a Dyna Super Glide since I was 15 and my brother let me ride his. College, girls, jobs, and other little things that happen to you in life kept postponing the inevitable, and in 2008 the finances, job security (if there is such a thing), and the wife all came together for me to make that dream come true. Once it's in your blood, there is no cure, so save for a decent down payment and get that '48 as soon as you possibly can, cause time keeps marchin' on. My Harley is the only thing I've ever owned that when I wake up, I can't wait to ride to work, and then I can't wait to clock out so I can ride home. Every time I ride it feels like the day I bought it!
Never gets old. When you get yours, I know you'll understand, so get goin'! Fred

Old 11-04-2010, 09:10 AM
PakMul
Cruiser

What Fred said.... and welcome!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:18 AM
sh57
Elite HDF Member

good luck and welcome from north carolina

Old 11-04-2010, 10:21 AM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

Welcome to the forum. Have fun here

Old 11-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hang in there. Sometimes life gets in the way. What seems like huge obstacles at the time they're occurring become only speed bumps later. Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn and keep the motivation/desire burning.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Iamlegend21087
Novice

Hey guys thanks for the responses! I am sure I will have a million questions as I haven't been on anything other than a dirt bike since I was 11. I look forward to meeting new people who love riding.

Adam

Old 11-04-2010, 12:24 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Welcome to the Forum and safe riding.
From Indiana

Quick Reply: Quest to buy A Forty Eight: Kind of Corny but can't sleep