Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Wife and I just got our licenses and have many questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:01 PM
BGAndrea
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife and I just got our licenses and have many questions!

Hello Everyone,
My wife and I just took the MSF class at our local Harley Davidson dealership and are eager to begin our new adventure!

My wife rode as a passenger about 5 years ago on a friend's bike before we met, and I rode a little in college (six years ago).

The first thing I would appreciate is help picking a bike. I drive a BMW M3 Convertable, and I mention this because I am looking for a similar characteristic in my bike that my car has. That is, my car is fast, well-handling, and fun, while being comfortable and spacious (big trunk and back seat). Before taking the class, I was set on a big cruiser. However, during the weave portion of the class, I scraped the foot pegs on the Buell Blast. When I asked my instructor why, he said that I seem to enjoy lean and speed. He said, if you slow down and press less, it won't happen. I said, "what if I enjoy speed and lean?". He replied, "get a sport bike". That is all fine and good except for the fact that I am over the sport bike point in my life. My wife and I love the Harley look, and to be honest, I think that sport bikes look plasticy and cheesy. Also, we want to take trips on our bikes, so I want something comfortable and capable of holding saddlebags. I went to the Harley dealership to sit on some bikes and here are my favorites:

1. Fat Boy- I love the look of this bike. Everything seems perfect except for the fact that I am terrified of the handling abilities. I worry that I won't enjoy a bike that can't handle and brake great. How does this bike handle? (I'm talking tail of the dragon capabilities eventually).

2. Dyna Wide Glide-This bike looks awesome and looks wise is my favorite bike. However, I have been advised that since I am concerned about handling, the skinny front tire and chopper fork pose a problem.

3. Road King Classic-I know this seems odd considering what I mentioned as far as my wants, but I absolutely love this bike. My wife says it's an "old man's bike", but I really like it. Also, I found some youtube videos of how the police handle these things and I double I'll be doing anything that extreme, so this may be able to handle the way I want it to.

4. Fat Bob-I really do like this bike. However, the lack of chrome and the fact that it's price point is so close to the Fat Boy, puts it in last place. However, it may be what I am looking for handling wise...any thoughts???

Basically, I am looking for Harley's sportiest big cruiser. I know this must seem odd, but I feel trapped between the cruiser and sport bike world.

BTW: I was not comfortable on the V-Rod at all, so even thought it seems like the obvious answer, it did not work out for me. Also, I don't like the looks of the BMW touring bikes or anything with a fairing. My instructor recommended the Suzuki Boulevard to me. He said it fit my wants of a sporty cruiser. However, in my mind a cruiser needs to be a Harley.

I'm kind of overwhelmed so any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Welcome..if I was in your boots I would go spend some time at a dealer ask all the questions..Rent a bike..Maybe if they have a bike night show up and ask the people that already own the type of bikes that your considering ask for all the pro,s and con,s...in the end your the one that has to be satisfied..

Old 10-18-2010, 06:47 PM
leanhog
Road Warrior
Old 10-18-2010, 07:19 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I could type for hrs and U would only have my opinion..

just read in hear for a while in the different sections and U'll more than just what I'd say anyway..

Welcome to the Forum and safe riding.
From Indiana

Old 10-18-2010, 07:37 PM
racerdj
Club Member

Congratulations on passing the MSF courses! You'll love the RK! Welcome to the Forum from Indy! Let's ride as winters coming in Indiana!

Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard from New York.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Retired_Colonel
Tourer

Welcome from NE Oregon!! Like you, I did not like the way the VRod fit me. I didn't like the Fat Boy braking.. and like you, I loved the RK Classic. So I bought mine new in '04; built the motor up, added Hawg Halters brakes, and then added Progressive 440 shocks rear, Progressive Monotubes upfront, and a bagger brace for good measure. It is not a sport bike, but it handles, runs and stops just fine for this old geezer!!

Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 PM
HDCPL4PLAY
Advanced

My next bike will be a Heritage Classic. I test rode a 2010 RK and couldn't wait to get it back to the dealership. I jumped back on my 06Softail and felt right at home. The con about the RK was it feels like you are riding on top of it instead of laid back. You will understand if you take some test rides on a few bikes. Also I have a friend that loves his Street Glide and since you didn't mention it I will. If you are looking for your woman a bike I wouldn't jump right out and get her a 600 pound bike. Just my thoughts here but my GF passed the MSF course a couple of months ago and we bought her a starter bike that nobody cares if it gets dropped a few times. She is getting a Fatboy this spring and will have a few miles under her before then and alot more confidence. Good Luck whatever you choose

Old 10-18-2010, 11:18 PM
rallevar
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, first of all, welcome to the forum. Second, after you read all the responses, like captain itch says, you're the one's that have to be satisfied. Go back to your H-D dealer and test drive some bikes. They shouldn't have any problem with that since you took the MSF class there. When you do get a bike, post some pics for us to see. Ride safe.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can play with different shocks, tires, and brakes. it will not hurt to grind the floorboards on the twisties...and you will be on a harley. remember your wife will be along on her bike. don't go too fast and get her in over her head.

Quick Reply: Wife and I just got our licenses and have many questions!