Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Wife and I just got our licenses and have many questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010 | 08:54 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You won't be happy with anything from Harley.

Old 10-19-2010 | 08:56 AM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Picking a bike ..

No one can pick a bike for you, that would be like someone picking your wife.

Go to the dealer and test ride a few. You'll know when you find one that fits.
Most dealers will let you rent one for a day and if you buy one they take the rent off the bike. Don't just run it around the parking lot, you need a good hour on it. What feels good at first might not after 50 miles..

Even if you have to rent a a couple, you'll save money in the long run if you buy a bike then hate it next week.

Old 10-19-2010 | 09:04 AM
PakMul
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome from Oregon!
Ride safe...........

Old 10-19-2010 | 09:18 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the course, test them all even the Ultra I think you will be surprised and welcome from New Mexico!

Old 10-19-2010 | 09:34 AM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

You said you want the bike to be like your car. I think you need to know what kind of riding do you want to do. At times I wish I had a touring bike but really I just do day trips, my longest day is only 377 miles. My bike was fine for that. Rent a bike or do some long test rides but know what type of rides you'll be going on.

Old 10-19-2010 | 10:36 AM
kopr2020
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with everyone else about renting a bike before you buy. So narrow down the search and rent a few. Not sure if you are going new or used. Sounds like new but if you find a used RK wouldn't buy one older than '08. When I rode the new touring frame ('08 and newer) I couldn't believe the difference from the older frame ('07 and older). Remember every Harley ends up being customized to fit you, i.e. seat, handlebars, windshield, chrome, motor work. So I say don't let something like the bar position or a seat make or break a decision on your purchase. Get the base look and feel and build on that.

I just bought a 2010 Road Glide Custom. I new I wanted a touring bike for my long trips. After owning it for 2 1/2 months and making lots of mods it fits me. I changed the bars (not reaching anymore), original windshield was useless so changed that, seat was not comfortable and wanted more of a bucket style (sit in the seat not on it) and the big mod was motor work. Rode around w stock motor for a month (96") and upgraded to a 106" w 116 ft lbs and 115 hp. I'm up to 5K on the odometer and loving it. BTW drag floorboards in turns all the time.

I previously road a 1990 Super Glide for 14 yrs put over 75K on it, paid $13K for it, mods added up to more than $22K and that thing fit like a glove and was FAST! Rode that bike everywhere, Key West, Myrtle Beach, Sturgis, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Bear Tooth Pass, Daytona all from Wisconsin. No trailering unless it was to get away from the salt on the Wisconsin roads. It was hard to get rid of it. The original owner would never be able to recognize it.

So read others opinions, determine the direction you want to go, and buy what you like.

Just my two cents.

Old 10-19-2010 | 11:22 AM
CALLYHANDS1
1st Gear

I'm in the same boat and also looking at the road king classic. Good luck!

Old 10-19-2010 | 11:44 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Welcome from Washington. And I agree, go rent a few and see what you like and what momma likes. What a few extra thousand dollars in today economy anyway.

Old 10-19-2010 | 11:59 AM
taximan62
Intermediate

Test other manufgacturers bikes. From your description a Harley may not be right for the riding style you may want to do.

If you are dead set on Harley then test them all.

Other suggestions:

BMW R1200R sporty and has hard luggage available.
Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Lots of others that are sportier handling and still offer the availability to have luggage for touring.

I personally love my Harley but they are not the best handling machines in the world. That's why I also have other bikes depending on my mood.

Old 10-19-2010 | 08:24 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by BGAndrea
BTW: I was not comfortable on the V-Rod at all, so even thought it seems like the obvious answer, it did not work out for me. Also, I don't like the looks of the BMW touring bikes or anything with a fairing. My instructor recommended the Suzuki Boulevard to me. He said it fit my wants of a sporty cruiser. However, in my mind a cruiser needs to be a Harley.
I never cared for the looks of a FLTR..... until I rode one.... from the rider's seat.... you don't really SEE the bike.....

Rent a bunch of bikes.... but if you feel the way you say you feel.... a BMW touring bike might just be the ticket....

but, if "only a Harley will do"....

Quick Reply: Wife and I just got our licenses and have many questions!