Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Picking Up My First Harley On Friday...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:14 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,119 Likes on 2,801 Posts
Default Picking Up My First Harley On Friday...

And I can't ****ing wait!

Hi all. I may not fit in very well from all of the posts that I've been reading here. I'm a relatively new rider. I will be wearing a full face helmet and a protective jacket on a RK and I don't know everything...or anything for that matter.

I've wanted a Harley for the longest time and I finally came across a deal I couldn't pass up on my dream bike. It's a 2002 Road King Classic that is Blue and silver, mostly stock from what I can tell. I'm excited as all hell, but I'm nervous about jumping on the biggest bike of my life after not riding for such a long time. I plan on spending a couple weekends in parking lots getting use to the weight.

So I apologize in advance to the ol' dogs for the stupid questions I may ask. I'll do my best to search for the answers prior to posting my stupidity in public. :cheers:

Old 09-27-2010, 05:15 PM
H@mbone!
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 09-27-2010, 05:25 PM
CROCKETT
Cruiser

Great first choice for a bike!!! Welcome from minnesota!!!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:42 PM
ky1bnusmc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello and welcome from Eastern Kentucky.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:46 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks guys.

Crockett, it's the only HD that I seem to always love. There are some other models that always catch my eye, depending on the owner's tastes and how they've decked it out, but every time I see a classic, it just screamed that it was all me. I know they've made some great changes to them since 02, but this was a good deal and I couldn't beat the price.

It's going to be quite the change from the Hurricane I rode in 1996.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:27 PM
sh57
Elite HDF Member

congradulations on your new bike and welcome from north carolina

Old 09-27-2010, 06:30 PM
LRHD
Road Captain

Welcome to the fourms from Bakersfield.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 PM
scheduler
Tourer

Congrats on the bike and welcome aboard

Old 09-27-2010, 07:26 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm going to post ***** my own thread, because even as strangers, you guys are the only people in my life that can relate to how excited I am. I think the last time I was this excited I still believed in Santa Claus.

I went out helmet shopping this weekend to the local Harley dealer. Their selection was horrible and they tried to tell me I should wear a large and I knew the helmets were too loose, but I played along. I know the 1/2 helmets are the norm with Harley riders and I must say you guys look cool, but being an inexperienced rider and not very pretty to begin with, I decided to opt for the full face. Naturally they didn't have one in my size, so I asked if they could call the closest HD dealer and see if they had a FF in stock that I could try. She seemed a little annoyed, but did it anyway and I was on my way to the next shop.

I walked in to Big Swamp HD and it was a world of difference. The lady put me in a FF and confirmed I needed a medium. I explained to her that there was a skull painted FF helmet at the other store that I would like to get in my size. It was a limited edition and they didn't have it, but she ran a report, found it at Speedway Harley in Concord NC. She put me on the phone with them and I paid for it and had it shipped directly to my office. I gave her a description of the helmet and asked her to doublecheck it and make sure it wasn't scratched up before sending it.

About 30 minutes later, she called me back with the "good news, bad news". Bad news- The part number the first lady gave me was wrong, it wasn't the helmet I was looking for. The good news- They had the one I wanted and it had just been marked down 50%! THat kind of **** NEVER happens to me. I'm hoping I've found a hobby that I'll get lucky with!

For the ADD crowd among us... Big props to Big Swamp Harley in AL and Pat Rodgers Speedway HD in Concord, NC. Combine that with the welcome here and it's been a great introduction into the HD community.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:31 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

Pic of the helmet. I figured if I was going to look like an idiot riding, I would have a little fun with it.

Quick Reply: Picking Up My First Harley On Friday...