Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Need opinion on Sportster as first bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 AM
fiveliter
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need opinion on Sportster as first bike

Hey all,

New member here. Looking to buy my first bike. I've had a motorcycle license for 12 years and have riden before ( primarily my father's Honda 750 cruiser which I thought was way too big ), but I decided to buy my first bike. Went down to the local HD dealership and fell in love with the Sportster 883 Iron. Salesman told me I was "too big" for a Sportster. Going to go back and test ride a few different models. I'm 6', 200 lbs. I told him it was my first bike and didn't want a too big of bike as my first bike. I'm not looking to drive long distances with it, just some local cruising. I want something comfortable and easy to ride. Any suggestions or comments on the 883? Thanks.

Last edited by fiveliter; 09-15-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome from Bristol, England.

Personally, I would never recommend any Harley to someone as a first bike and would suggest they learn the skills on something smaller, lighter, less powerful and more forgiving. This seems particularly valid given your comments on your experiences riding your fathers bike. Others hold differing views on this of course.

Its not clear how much actual riding experience youve had or how long ago since you rode. If its been a while why not take an MSF course (on one of their bikes) it might act as a refresher and teach you some good skills even though you've got a licence.

After that I would recommend you go with your gut instincts. If you still find the idea of a 750 or a Harley intimidating there is nothing wrong at all with getting something smaller. A lot smaller if thats what you feel is right for you. Go for something you feel comfortable being in control of. Perhaps buy a relatively cheap used Jap bike and, if you feel so inclined, work your way up. It would be terrible to spend a lot of $$$$ on a nice new Harley and have it sit in your garage doing nothing because your not confident to ride it, or worse for you to have a bad accident.

I have a Sportster and love it to death (but I started out 35 years ago on a 120cc jap machine and worked up). However, they are more top heavy than the bigger bikes. Although I have no experience riding one, I've read many find the Dyna's easier to ride. The Street Bob's a very nice bike IMHO.

Other people have different views and experiences, which is fine for them just as starting small and working up was right for me. As I say, listen to what your guts telling you. If you do get something small(er) dont spend loads on it.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and stay safe.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member

Welcome aboard from New York.

I would agree with the MSF course and then getting a used bike to get your experience on.
I wouldn't hesitate on getting a Harley but I'd go the used route until you better see what your riding style will be.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:05 AM
shrydog
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 39 Posts

In my opinion the ONLY reason for buying a Sportster would be that you can't afford a full size Harley. It is a misconception that they are easier to handle than other bikes because of engine size but they are actually top heavy and easy to lay over. At 37 years old and only 5'6" tall and with only limited dirt bike experience, I took the safety course and started on a Softail Deluxe for two years and now have a Street Glide. Take the course and test ride as many bikes as you can to see what is comfortable for you. Once you decide on a bike, always ride cautiously and in control.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:18 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer

My wife started riding last year on an 883. It was the first time she had ridden anything with a motor since her brother's mini bike 30 years ago. We bought the bike before she had taken the new rider's course. By the time she had completed the course she had a couple of hundred miles on the bike (with a temporary permit and with me riding near by). After her first time on the freeway with her 883, she called me to ask what a big twin weighed. As we had purchased the Sportster under last years trade-in promotion, we were back at the dealer this spring for a Dyna. In my wife's opinion, the Dyna is easier to ride than the Sportster. The big twins feel like they have a lower center of gravity. Big twins, in spite of the engine size increase over an 883, feel more docile. Harleys (stock air cooled) don't launch like some metric bikes. They don't feel like they are going to do wheelies, for example. If riding a street motorcycle on public streets doesn't scare you, it's likely nothing in H-D's line-up will feel overwhelming. Go to a local HOG chapter meeting and talk to the new member director about someone to ride with. That will go a lot further to building confidence than starting with a 250. I would hesitate to say you are too big for a Sportster but you will probably feel that you have outgrown it before it's paid for.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Seabee27
Stage III

I respectfully and strongly disagree with Photo. I am new in this forum, my wife and I just bought our first HD's, but not only these are our first Harleys, they are our first motorcycles for that matter.

We bought a 1995 Sportster Hugger, and a 2001 Sportster 883, since she didn't want to be ridden, neither do I. And after never been in a motorcycle before, and with the advice of our HD local dealer we took the MSF course two months ago. And this is our experience with our first learning bikes.

We LOVE THEM, used Sportsters are the best bikes to learn from as an introduction to the Harley Davidson world and life style. After riding these bikes 8 times we decided to take a 300 miles ride from New Jersey to Connecticut and back this weekend that just passed. We did it at night the first 150 miles and we came back under heavy rain before we got to New York city (Without proper rain gear!) and we had the time of our lives, we would do it again in a heart bit!

We met many riders along the way who were surprised to see us in Sportsters doing a long ride. You guys have to understand a little bit of our culture, I am Chilean and my wife is Russian, we are not people who are accustom to drive in comfortable cars, stay in expensive hotels under warm sheets, or eat fancy food. If we want something we struggle until we get it. In this case we are looking to gain riding experience.

Sportsters are a well capable bikes, able to to forgive some of our stupid errors, they are well built, take lots of abuse, and they don't break easily when they are dropped. They are powerful enough to get you out of trouble, but not enough to get you killed (Although, anything can get you killed without the proper training)

We could had gotten a much affordable used metric bikes, but... no man! my wife is a smart chick, she convinced me to get a real bike, and I am glad she did so

Old 09-15-2010, 12:24 PM
grizzwold
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with seabee that a Sportster is a capable bike, with that being said, I feel like my Dyna is much easier to ride than my Sporty was. The center of gravity is much lower on the Dyna and the handling both around town and especially on the highway was a night and day difference between the two bikes. This is just my opinion. I wouldn't let anyone here sway you from buying a Sportster if that's what you really want.
You do have your motorcycle license so maybe going down to the dealer and asking for a test ride on some different models may help you decide.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Kapture1
Advanced

Originally Posted by grizzwold
I agree with seabee that a Sportster is a capable bike, with that being said, I feel like my Dyna is much easier to ride than my Sporty was. The center of gravity is much lower on the Dyna and the handling both around town and especially on the highway was a night and day difference between the two bikes. This is just my opinion. I wouldn't let anyone here sway you from buying a Sportster if that's what you really want.
You do have your motorcycle license so maybe going down to the dealer and asking for a test ride on some different models may help you decide.

I was going to suggest the Dyna. Based on your height and size, It seems that the Dyna would fit you perfectly. You have your 883, and 1200 sportster, the next level up is the Dyna. If you have your license, sign up for a demo day and try those three. I am a bit heavier than you, but about the same height; for height alone I look comical on a Sportster.

The problem I ran into having never rode in my life, I went with a 750 Honda, and within a few weeks, I needed something bigger. I agree that you need to "fit" the bike you buy, but be careful, a lot of money to spend to "out grow" it in a few years. (not that you would with a Sportster, just making a point)

Old 09-15-2010, 02:14 PM
sh57
Elite HDF Member

welcome from north carolina, buy yourself a cheap bike, learn how to ride, then get the Harley you want.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:09 PM
leanhog
Road Warrior

I got a sporty that fits my budget and garage. If you have room in garage and budget for a Dyna, go for it.

Quick Reply: Need opinion on Sportster as first bike