Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

NEPA newbie...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:29 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard from Biloxi Mississippi!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Hey Mobius --- Welcome aboard from your neighbor up here in Wellsboro. Just started riding 6 yrs ago. The day before my safety course, my nephew told me to come out to his place & he'd show me the ropes. At the time, he had a Yamaha RoadStar. Pretty big, heavy & intimidating for a newbie. His buddy had a FatBoy & I couldn't believe how much more manageable it was. You'll be fine on a FatBoy or even a Heritage Softtail. I now have a big ole EG Classic!

Hey, still doing that bike night over at Quaker Steak, over by the mall? I've thought about riding down there for it sometime, but I don't like the animals on the road after dark, up here in our neighborhood! I'll just have to leave early, I guess. What night, if they're still doing it?

Old 07-15-2010, 05:24 PM
racerdj
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be sure to test ride your choices with a long enough ride to really get a feel for the ride. You will know when the right bike comes along. Welcome from Indy! It's a great place to hang out when not ridding!

Old 07-15-2010, 06:41 PM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

Welcome to the forum. Have fun here

Old 07-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Mobius570
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Hey Mobius --- Welcome aboard from your neighbor up here in Wellsboro. Just started riding 6 yrs ago. The day before my safety course, my nephew told me to come out to his place & he'd show me the ropes. At the time, he had a Yamaha RoadStar. Pretty big, heavy & intimidating for a newbie. His buddy had a FatBoy & I couldn't believe how much more manageable it was. You'll be fine on a FatBoy or even a Heritage Softtail. I now have a big ole EG Classic!

Hey, still doing that bike night over at Quaker Steak, over by the mall? I've thought about riding down there for it sometime, but I don't like the animals on the road after dark, up here in our neighborhood! I'll just have to leave early, I guess. What night, if they're still doing it?
Wow small world! I drive through Wellsboro all the time for work. You're right, they are some crazy drivers up there. Bike night is still going strong every Wednesday night at the Lube.

That's good to know that the FatBoy is manageable, that makes me feel better.

Ever been to the dealer outside of State College? That place is huge and they have a big figure eight track out back to ride on. I also made a stop by Horsepower Harley in Williamsport to look around, another great place.

How does one go about doing a test ride? Do I need to call ahead to a dealer or just show up and start trying bikes? I just got my permit and will be taking my safety course classes in September, so I know I will need my license before I can test ride.

Thanks again for all the welcomes.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

I've been to # 1 in State College, a few times. One time last year, we sat & watched a few kids drifting on that track out back. Nice place down there.

You're right. You'll probably have to have a motorcycle endorsement on your license before you can go for a test ride. When I got my Classic, up at Larry's in Galeton, they just told me to take it for a ride to see what I thought, but I've been there many times & they knew that I rode.

I wasn't talking about crazy drivers when I said animales on the road --- I was talking about the deer jumping out in front og me! At least, during the day, I've got half a chance to react! I think I'll come down some Wed night for that bike night. I've stopped a couple of times when I was driving by in the car. They get a pretty good turnout over there. Go for the FatBoy or the Heritage Softtail Classic. You'll be fine with either one, I think.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:20 AM
Mobius570
Intermediate

Oh those animals! LOL. There are plenty of them too. I was thinking the other way around, because the last two times I was there I almost got hit by someone pulling out of that road by McDonald's where the main road makes a sharp turn.

The sales man at that dealership in State College was pretty cool. He took me on a tour and was telling me that people would come there to drift. That ranch next to that place is pretty awesome too.

I have to travel up to Galeton in the next week or so, is there any decent dealers up that way?

Old 07-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mobius570
Oh those animals! LOL. There are plenty of them too. I was thinking the other way around, because the last two times I was there I almost got hit by someone pulling out of that road by McDonald's where the main road makes a sharp turn.

The sales man at that dealership in State College was pretty cool. He took me on a tour and was telling me that people would come there to drift. That ranch next to that place is pretty awesome too.

I have to travel up to Galeton in the next week or so, is there any decent dealers up that way?
I bought my Classic at Larry's. It's on route 6, about 5 or 6 miles west of Galeton. You won't believe how many bikes they have, stuffed into that place.

I know exactly which turn you're talking about, near McD's! That's one of those places where you could sit for 10 minutes waiting to turn left. I always squeeze the brake when I get to it, until I know what they're gonna do! Penn DOT did a traffic study there, and looks like there might be a light going up there.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Mobius570
Intermediate

That's the road!

I'll check out Larry's when I'm up there. Thanks again.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:57 AM
bagger90
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome From Wellsville PA
Ride Long
Ride safe
1984 1/2 XLS (sold)
1990 FLHTCU (sold)
2010 FLHTK (riding)

Quick Reply: NEPA newbie...