Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

new member seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:57 PM
curb
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member seeking advice

I will be getting back into riding in the next few months and was wondering if I could get some feedback on my future plans. I grew up on dirt bikes and had a few go fast bikes in my 20's, then with a couple of wives and a kid I found myself without a bike for about the last 15 years. So, my question is I am planning on purchasing a nightster or forty-eight in the near future and was wondering if you all thought this would be a good bike to re-introduce myself to riding? Any advice appreciated!

Old 06-20-2010, 01:11 PM
dbinbc
Cruiser

Nighster or forty-eight is only a good bike to get back into riding on if you want that Harley feel, Harley quirks, and a whole lot of fun riding. Go for it.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, so pardon a simple question...

What do you see yourself doing with it?

(And are you riding by your lonesome or with one of the wives?)

If you want to take long weekend roadtrips, relatively short runs, 3 season, like over to Cannon Beach or Newport or even up to Anacortes or Vancouver, thats one thing.

If you envision riding to Sturgis or down to Arizona or New Mexico once or twice a year, thats something else.

And if you're just using it around town or to commute to work on, thats different from either of the above.

For just getting back into riding either of the bikes you mentioned would work well...but any specific advice I might offer would depend on what you wanted to do with the bike you're looking for...

By the way, welcome to the board!

Doc

Old 06-20-2010, 01:22 PM
curb
Stage IV

Thanks for the feedback guys, the bike would be a commuter on nice days, and would be used for the occasional short weekend trips down to the coast, we have a place about 2 hours away in Manzanita, so I am thinking that is about as long a ride as I need for awhile. The wife thinks she might like the occasional ride as well, but that could be accomplished with a 2 up seat? Thats what I am thinking.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:29 PM
chance
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello and welcome to HDF from NorCal... Here are my thoughts... I think you need to consider what you plan to do with your bike... Road trips? Putt around town? Ride the twisties? Freeway riding? Commute to work? Ride solo? Ride two-up? Carry gear? etc... Once you figure out what you plan to do with the bike, then start looking for the models that might best meet those needs. You will find all kinds of information and opinions in the forums to help you... Then I would test ride or rent the models you are considering... Consider the different riding positions those different models offer... Whether or not you have any back issues, etc and choose the one that feels the most comfortable to you... If you aren't comfortable on the bike, you won't ride it...

My first Harley purchase was based solely on looks and styling... Unfortunately it did not fit my riding needs or comfort level... Ended up having to swap it out for something else...

Old 06-20-2010, 01:41 PM
racerdj
Club Member

Good idea and be sure to test both and you will know which one is best.
Welcome to the Forum from Indy!

Old 06-20-2010, 04:53 PM
curb
Stage IV
Default thanks guys

it sounds like it will be just terrible test driving a few different models, haha. thanks for the advice!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:39 PM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

Welcome to the forum. Have fun here,Ride safe

Old 06-20-2010, 08:15 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard from Biloxi Mississippi!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:07 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Welcome, from Raleigh...
Chance and Doc, already said what I would have said..... motorcycles are like tools.... you select them for the task at hand.
Two points I'd add...
1) take a riders class.... yes, I read about your experience, but as YOU noted, it's been 15 years.... bikes have come a long way, and what skills you may have had, have deminished. use 'em, or lose 'em

2) get the bike that fits YOU.... and the wife..... photos look good... and most bikes "feel" good, on the showroom floor... test ride, before buying, and make sure the wife, goes along. The bike MAY be a great fit.... or it might not. A 2 hour ride could become tourture on the wrong bike.... just saying

Quick Reply: new member seeking advice