Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Newbie wanting a ride and some knowlege...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010 | 05:26 PM
Ndbtlhb
|
Stage II
Default Newbie wanting a ride and some knowlege...

Hi I'm Jeremy and have always been a Harley fan but I've never owned one or even ridden a bike, but thats gonna change. My uncle in Florida has a '57 Pan Head and my other uncle has had numerous Harley's threw out his short lived life. My best friend's Dad past away a couple months ago and he inherited his '07 FatBoy and keeps hounding me to get one. And I really want one but the bills are too tight to squeeze one in with our budget. But I have a Harley Fund started and with a tax refund in 2 yrs I intend to buy one.

I was looking at getting a Sportster to start out with but I went to a poker run benefit for my friends dad and fell in love with a guy's bike there, he had a '95 softail deuce, absolutely beautiful. Do you guys think that this is too much bike for me to start out on? And whats the difference between the softail and a Dyna Super Glide? I have so many ???'s before I even start looking for a bike and hope all you experienced guys can help me, Thanks.

Old 05-26-2010 | 05:36 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

Deuce is great bike, and was my first Harley. The rear suspension is the most notable difference between the SG and Deuce. Softail has the hidden pair of shocks; while the Dyna is clearly visable. Most would argue the Dyna is a bettler handleling bike. The Deuce will most likely have more chrome goodies on it than the Super Glide and be more of a chopper style ride. Sit on both and you will feel the difference. The Deuce will make you feel like you're sitting in the bike versus on the bike.

Sportster is a great bike as well, most end up trading it off for one of the bigger bikes. However, the important point here would be get something you can afford because riding is the point versus the model of bike.

Good luck with saving up for the bike; it can be done.

Old 05-26-2010 | 05:36 PM
du510
Tourer

I'll leave answers to your questions to someone smarter; but one one new guy to another, welcome aboard.

Old 05-26-2010 | 05:54 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member

Welcome aboard from Biloxi Mississippi!

The deuce wout be a good place to start... be sure and take a ride course. Best of luck with your bike search - hope you are riding soon!

Old 05-26-2010 | 06:02 PM
OddJob
Advanced

I would recommend picking up a cheap jap bike (or an older bike) while you are saving up for the Harley and get comfortable riding. You can pick up something small and cheap just to learn on. The benefit of that is if you wreck the bike, you are out a lot less money, and if you don't you have a trade-in when you move up to the bike you want. Another benefit is that with some miles underneath you, you will have a better idea what kind of bike you really do want. As per others recommendations, don't get a bike based on looks alone. You may have the nicest bike in town, but it doesn't matter if you can't stand to be on it for more than 5 minutes.

Most definitely take the MSF or some riding course before you start riding. You will learn a lot about riding, and safe riding. They teach you as if you have never ridden a bike before, and they provide the bikes. In some states, if you pass the course, they count it towards the skills (riding) portion of your motorcycle endorsement. In some states I believe it actually qualifies you for the endorsement. The class is a weekend long and isn't that expensive. Definitely worth the money.

Old 05-26-2010 | 06:17 PM
Ndbtlhb
|
Stage II

Yea a guy i work with just spent $25 on that 2 day course and got his endorsement. My buddy has a Kawasaki 250 I think it is and will sell it for $400. I want to get it to start out on, gotta get the wife on board for the $400 but shes been real supported so far. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.....I'm gonna keep u posted on the Jap bike.

Old 05-26-2010 | 07:06 PM
chance
Club Member

Hello and welcome to HDF from NorCal...

Old 05-26-2010 | 07:17 PM
hpfatboy
Banned

Welcome from Vancouver B.C. CANADA

Old 05-26-2010 | 07:53 PM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

Welcome to the forum. Have fun Here

Old 05-26-2010 | 09:15 PM
sh57
Elite HDF Member

welcome from north carolina

Quick Reply: Newbie wanting a ride and some knowlege...