Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

New guy with a decision to make

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010 | 04:26 PM
stallone
|
Stage III
Default New guy with a decision to make

Hey everyone. This is my first post, though I've been reading here for a while. I've been riding for 15 years now at the ripe old age of 31. I'm from Minnesota. My last bike was a sportbike (Yamaha R6). I've ridden several Harleys, but never owned one and I am looking to change that.

So I came here to look for some recommendations. I'm trying to decide what to buy and I'm all over the place. I'm just going to throw all the different ideas that I have out there and see what you guys and girls think.

First idea - cheap used Sportster, find a used 883 or 1200 for around $4000 and pay cash and have a fun bike for a couple years. I like the peanut tank and could handle riding around on an 883. 1200 would be better for 2-up cruising. Both could be had for cheap enough (looking mid-90s on up locally and finding them for around that price).

Second - new Sportster like an Iron (cheaper), or Nightster or 48.

Third - new big bike - Dyna Super Glide Custom is preferred since it has everything I'm looking for (big bike, console speedo, passenger seat and pegs) and the price is good. I love the look of the new Wide Glide though. I just don't know if I want to pony up for it at this time.

Fourth - used big bike - this is last since I really don't like this idea when I could spend about the same and get a new big bike that I like (FXDC).

Personally, I'm leaning towards option 3 since I think a new big bike would last me. Options 1 and 2 are more to tide me over for a couple years until I get to option 3. Also, I like the big bike idea since I'd like to take some longer rides with my dad (he likes to take one long distance ride a year) and I just think it'd be more comfortable on the big bike.

Thanks to all of you for your opinions. I love the site, and look forward to updating you all on what I do!

Old 05-24-2010 | 04:41 PM
sh57
Elite HDF Member

welcome from north carolina, it sounds like you know what you want. If that is the case, if you are like me, it all comes down to what you can afford.

Old 05-24-2010 | 04:46 PM
1984Ironhead
Outstanding HDF Member

You can allways get the (used )sporty, and move up to another bike and probably get your money back on the sporty... or you could just end up with a old sporty, that you want to keep ! Good luck & welcome to the forum.

Old 05-24-2010 | 05:02 PM
Terly
Cruiser

Welcome from SoCal...Option 3 sounds good to me

Old 05-24-2010 | 05:59 PM
ShadowOSMC
Novice

My first two HD's were sports and I remember thinking the same thing(s) as you. I did enjoy them but the simple fact was that I really wanted and needed a bigger bike. Go with the third option man.

Old 05-24-2010 | 06:09 PM
oct1949
Club Member

bout the same decision a lot of members had to make....

I did it different, broke my back 11 yrs ago, haven't ridden for 8yr, went with son to buy his new one back in 07. After looking at two dealers I wanted one.
Not even knowing if I could even still ride and always wanting a Heritage, I picked one out, ordered the mod, wrote the check (cash deal), signed the papers and picked her up two weeks later.
Haven't looked back or second guessed the move once.

Welcome to the Forum and safe riding.
From Indiana

Old 05-24-2010 | 06:23 PM
dodgemanj
Road Warrior

Welcome from Cary, NC.

Old 05-24-2010 | 06:26 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member

Welcome aboard from New York.

Old 05-24-2010 | 07:48 PM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

Welcome to the forum. Have fun Here

Old 05-24-2010 | 08:43 PM
Old Tucker
Cruiser

Decisions, Decisions, I hadn't ridden for years and then bought a 95 sporty in Oct. love it but bought an 06 Ultra two weeks ago what a difference I'm not looking back so far. Good luck on your decisions and welcome to the froum from Nebr.

Quick Reply: New guy with a decision to make