Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

lookin for first harley

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:50 AM
101stmp
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi from New York/ Iraq

Im returning from Iraq in june and lookin for my first Harley. I have been riding the other bikes but now im lookin to ride a harley I'm looking 2 get a sportster whats the better deal 883 or 1200 and what years are good to buy. and whats the deal with the rubber engine mounts is it night and day like i have heard. Any help would be great thanks.

Last edited by 101stmp; 04-13-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: retype
Old 04-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

It's difficult for anyone to advise on whats the best bike for you to buy as these things are very personal.

You've specifically asked about the Sportsters. If thats because you've already made up your mind that a Sportster is definately the bike for you then personally I would suggest going for the 1200. I dont think there is a huge difference between the two bikes, but am lead to believe (rightly or wrongly) that the 1200's are a bit easier to sell on should you want to do so in the future. But get other opinions on this from your side of the pond.

If your asking about the Sporster predominantly because you consider it the best Harley to start out on or because its cheaper than other models. I would suggest you at least try out some of the other models before commiting your $$$.

Compared with the other models, the Sportsters are a bit top heavy and some people have said theyve actually found bikes in the Dyna range easier to ride. The only Harley I've riden is my own Harley, so again cant say from experience. But sitting on a Street Bob at the dealers, it did feel somewhat better balanced.

Give some thoughts to the type of riding your likely to do. If its likely you'll be doing regular long trips or riding two up a lot, the Sportster probably isnt the ideal choice. It can do either and I do make such trips myself, but other models would probably do so more comfortably.

Sit on a few models and try to get some test rides before commiting your hard earned $$$. Dealers may nudge you in the direction of a Sportster. But if you check out their shop you'll notice there are quite a few very low mileage second hand machines because people have bought them as a first Harley then traded them quickly.

I own a Sportster and love it and its well suited to the general roads over here which (generalisation) tend to have a lot more bends than are (I believe) common over there. Just dont rule out the other models without considering them.

I hope this has been of some help.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 AM
101stmp
1st Gear

i got like 10 g to spend for bike jacket helmet and stuff. A cop guy I work with has a dyna glide but he paid liek 15 and some change for it sweet ride though. I just see a lot of sportsters on craigslist and stuff and I kinda like the looks of the nighster model they have and I fiqure for a first harley one of those would be a good choice.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:35 AM
1984Ironhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for your service, the best thing to do is take advantage of when dealers have a open house and allow test rides on different models. This way you can feel it on the road, besides just sitting on it in the showroom. Since you asked about a sporty... Remember this you can get the 883..convert to 1200...and your insurance policy will show it as a 883, may save a few $'s. Good luck in your search, also...with Harleys program of trading up..there are plenty of quality used sportys out there.
Welcome to the forum & hello from the garden state..

Old 04-13-2010, 08:35 AM
MrsDowFire
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend a 1200 over an 883. I have the 1200 and my friend had an 883 and really outgrew it very soon. I have had mine over 2 years now. I am looking at the street glides now.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:39 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Thanks for your service. If your mind is set on a Sportster I would go with a 1200.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:41 AM
101stmp
1st Gear

yeah I seen a decent amount of 1200 for sale whats the better years to get as I see ones from the 80's to 2010. And my fiance wants to ride next summer and im sure she will wanna ride a harley to is the 883 a good bike 4 her to start on

Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 AM
BLACKTOP GLIDER
Tourer

Welcome home from PA. Dealers have open house test ride days. Take advantage and see what you like.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard from New York and thanks for your service.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 AM
racerdj
Club Member

Thank you for serving our country and please stay safe. Coming home to your family will be first order then the Harley! Welcome to the Forum from Indy!

Quick Reply: lookin for first harley