Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Not even an Owner...yet

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010 | 08:09 PM
03psd
|
Tourer
Default Not even an Owner...yet

I know so little that I dont even know what I dont know. Havent owned a bike since the early 90's when I had a GSXR-750 in college. Want to get back on a bike, now that time and resources allow. Visited my local shop and its very small and no one really seemed interested in helping an obvious newb. Looking for a comfortable bike to ride on nice days, capable of hauling the wife on local trips (<200 miles). I have no friends with bikes so between the not too helpful shop with a tiny selection and no one to discuss with, I am up the creek just trying to get the ball rolling. I see lots of bikes in Hot Springs, AR but they are always in a group and approaching a group when you arent part of it is a little wierd.

suggestions on a place to start just to figure out what model I should be considering?

thanks

Old 03-20-2010 | 08:12 PM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

Welcome to the forum. Have fun Here, Ride Safe
Go teat ride thrm all you will find the one for you

Old 03-20-2010 | 08:15 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome from VA. If you have any other dealers in your area you may want to check them out. Find one that you like to deal with and one that can answer your questions. You may also want to enroll in a motorcycle riders course.

Old 03-20-2010 | 09:14 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member

Welcome to the forum from Biloxi Mississippi!

Old 03-20-2010 | 09:31 PM
1sharprdkg
Advanced

Welcome to the forum. Try to find a dealer that will let demo some bikes. The Road King Classic is a great bike for solo or 2-up riding of short trips around town or 200 plus miles. Add a tour pack and your ready for over night or an all week trip. Remember smaller does not mean more comfort. enjoy shopping.

Old 03-20-2010 | 09:46 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Really without more info on Ur like and dislikes ifany its really hard to suggest.
input would be, How tall,? howbig?, what do U think looks good. batwing or shield.
hard bags, leather bags or no bags..??? things like that.

The wife and I ride almost every nice day in the summer for 3-5 hrs on our Heritage..
but U may hate the leather and spots.

The RK and SG is also a good one like the heritage for long daily rides, neither one is really an all out tourer like an Ultra classis or RG, but with just a little add ons they can be.
I like bags and again U may hate them..
thats Y the choice is so personal...

I've never rode a Dyna so can really tell U anything on those.

Old 03-21-2010 | 12:01 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Thumbs up

Good luck, Welcome from Vancouver B.C. CANADA

Old 03-21-2010 | 12:16 AM
chance
Club Member

Hello and welcome to HDF from NorCal... First thing I would do is decide what exactly I want to do with the bike, i.e. take extended trips, day trips, bar hop, ride solo/two up, etc. That should help you narrow down what family to chose from...what features you want or must have etc.. Then go test drive as many as you can...

Old 03-21-2010 | 12:31 AM
50magnum
Intermediate

Welcome and good luck on your pick. You would most likely get a bit more information/opinions if you could add some info specific to you, from a multitude of great folks that reside here.

Styles, budget, physical attributes and what desire of bike would be a small beginning, to say the least. You already know one thing and that it will be a Harley. Right?

Old 03-21-2010 | 03:29 AM
Rockrspud
Road Warrior

Welcome from Las Vegas Nevada, Test Ride"m all man,good luck!!!

Quick Reply: Not even an Owner...yet