Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Need Help/Information! Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:05 AM
olsen2420
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face (Connecticut) Need Help/Information! Please

Hey Guys and Girls,

So I have a bit of a long story. Back in 2004 my father died in a motorcycle accident and he was very much into Harley Davidsons and previously to that he raced superbikes in the 80's. I'm only 21 and when he passed away I was only 15, so I never really had time to totally understand Harley Davidson motorcycles. I'm very big into the subaru/import car world and I stick to working on my STI instead of purchasing a bike, so I'm really out there when it comes to motorcycle knowledge. THE thing is though I have a 1983 Harley Davidson XR-1000 that was left behind by my father. The bike itself is taken apart and has been for a number of years because my father never got around to putting it back together. He purchased it sometime in the mid 90s from what I remember (I.E. my parents were divorced and I am an only child so theres not much information I can remember). Once he purchased the bike he took it apart and the frame was freshly powdercoated and the condition of the gas tank and other painted pieces are in great shape. Everything is boxed up now since I sold the house before I went to college and everything was moved to my uncles. My life is always extremely busy with going to college and now in the next year and a half I'll be going into the Navy, so I'm never going to have time to actually hold onto this bike and enjoy the rarity of it.
This is where the confusion comes in, I'm totally at a lost for what this bike is worth as I've heard different estimates from everyone. What are people out there willing to pay for a bike that is in pieces that needs to be put back together? I might have someone I know put it back together but don't know yet. Anyways once put back together how much is it worth. I'm sorry for being a NOOB to the Harley world but I have no real guidance when it comes to Harley Davidsons. I appreciate any information you guys have for me, thank you. By the way my father owned a 2001 Harley Davidson Road King Classic which was an absolutely beautiful bike, really wish I could get a bike in the future but I think my mother would kill me, lol. This is why in the near future I think someone that really appreciates Harley's as much as my dad did would love to have the XR-1000. I'm located in Connecticut for anyone out there that is from around there. There is 4, 615 Miles on the bike
Best Regards,
Shane

Last edited by olsen2420; 02-26-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:55 AM
Solitaree1
Road Master

rent storage, put it away. in five years you'll be glad you did. Life does slow down.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:49 AM
Wings-r
Novice

Thats reeel good advice, I'd do the same.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:56 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome from Bristol, England.

I agree, put it in safe storage if you dont have an urgent need for the money. In a few years time you're more likely to have the time (and possibly more inclination) to have a go at rebuilding it yourself or with help from a friend. Once sold, its gone for ever.

I dont know much about values over that side of the pond, but would assume a bike in bits is going to be worth significantly less than a rebuily bike. Not least because the buyer wont know for sure if every part is actually there.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:40 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Welcome from Vancouver B.C. CANADA

Old 02-26-2010, 06:09 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Virginia.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post in General Chat or Sportster Forum, I am sure someone will step up and offer to buy it.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:43 AM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

Welcome to the forum. Have fun Here, Ride Safe

Old 02-26-2010, 07:49 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I have several things left from my father (both are Gibson, a Bango and Mandolin), there not worth a great amount of money to others but I've had them for yrs now and wouldn't think of selling them...The bango he carried with him all over France in WW11.
If U ever start riding, U might someday wish U still had it rather than selling it now...

Ride safe and have a great spring.
Nice to have you aboard HDF,
From Indiana, the Hoosier state.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:50 AM
TexasFLHX
Road Master

Welcome to the Forums from Cibolo, Texas!!

Quick Reply: Need Help/Information! Please