Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

From Boston MA , looking for some help, because I am a newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Bouncer88
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Boston MA , looking for some help, because I am a newbie.

Ok so my buddy has a HD I guess its called a "Duece" , my other buddy has some HD from the 70s, nice bike but totally customs. I am trying to get a HD for the spring, I am looking more towards the sportsters due to my size and budget as well, I am only 5'7'' 160 pounds. Only problem with getting a sportster is that I don't see many custom bikes out there, not custom but bikes with aftermarket parts that make the bike totally different.

I want to over time build a sinister looking bike, real clean looking at the same time, can I do this with a sportster?

Some info about me.

My names Kevin I am 21 years old and I am a mechanic by trade and an Ex Marine, I love to play paintball and I also love working on cars.

I hope my stay here on HD is a good one.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look at an older Evo Softail, more customizing options, and a way cooler ride IMO.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Bouncer88
2nd Gear

Thing is I am not looking to spend more than 4000 dollars initially.

I like the look of the new nightsters those things are badass.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:08 PM
meathead1134
Cruiser

Hey Kevin,

First off thanks for your service.
2nd I'm pretty close to your build I'm 5'6 155lbs. I've got a 883 sportster, I picked up mine 2 years ago from Ocean State Harley in RI. This was my first bike I picked up an 04 883 sportster with 1800 miles on it for $4800.00 chromed out to the max when I bought it. If this is going to be your first bike I would recomend something small as you get comfortable on the bike you have have the motor punched out to a 1200 which I did and now my bike is a rocket ship and a sleeper at the same time. Also since its under 900CC the insurance on my bike is dirt cheap also. Check out Sheldons HD in Auburn they tend to have a decent selection. As far as customizing it. Well the skies the limit. The previous owner of my bike put a chome upper belt guard, rear sproket, and a bunch of other chome stuff on it. It all depends on how deep your pockets are. This past summer I had my whole headset changed out with chrome, switch housings, drag bars, speed relocation. Like I said the skies the limit and it all depends on how much you want to spend. If you need anything else just let me know. Hell I see that you are not that far from me either. In the spring time hit me up and maybe we could do some riding. I'm in Attleboro I'm right down 146 from you.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:08 PM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain

As another Paintballer (played for last 12 or so years) I'll say get what you can . Many aftermarket Parts can transform over time into the Nightster look. i was also looking into that as well as the Iron.

I ended up getting a Great Deal on this V-rod ( NightRod) and will start to Darken it up a bit more then what it is already. Night be something else to look at you can find some cheaper and then get parts to Darker it up a bit.

Another thing to remember is if kept in good shape HDs hold value so even if you get that Sportster and find it not to your liking selling it won't put you in the Hole like a Jap bike.

Good Luck and Welcome

Old 12-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Bouncer88
2nd Gear

meathead1134 I would be glad to do some riding, not sure of your age and what your interests consist of but I get along with almost anyone and everyone, it is just how I am. My buddies with bikes are real cool too. You should see my buddies Duece it is one bad bad bike, it is real quick too it keeps up with my buddies BMW M3.

Anyways thanks a lot guys for the tips, I think if I get a sportster I am definitely going to darken it up, I am going to be buying my own powder coating kit from east wood as well as an oven so that I can customize my bike, by myself for the most part, as well as paint. My buddy with the duece is into body work and painting so I am going to have him teach me as well.

I looked at bikes over the summer with a friend who knows a lot about harleys I saw tons of sportsters even 1200s for under 3500 dollars and my friend said they were all great representations and well taken care of. I don't mind getting a bike with higher miles but not outrageously high just because I am mechanically inclined.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:18 PM
meathead1134
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bouncer88
meathead1134 I would be glad to do some riding, not sure of your age and what your interests consist of but I get along with almost anyone and everyone, it is just how I am. My buddies with bikes are real cool too. You should see my buddies Duece it is one bad bad bike, it is real quick too it keeps up with my buddies BMW M3.

Anyways thanks a lot guys for the tips, I think if I get a sportster I am definitely going to darken it up, I am going to be buying my own powder coating kit from east wood as well as an oven so that I can customize my bike, by myself for the most part, as well as paint. My buddy with the duece is into body work and painting so I am going to have him teach me as well.

I looked at bikes over the summer with a friend who knows a lot about harleys I saw tons of sportsters even 1200s for under 3500 dollars and my friend said they were all great representations and well taken care of. I don't mind getting a bike with higher miles but not outrageously high just because I am mechanically inclined.
I'm 30

Old 12-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard from New York.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:38 PM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to the forum from Alabama

Old 12-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Bouncer88
2nd Gear

Thanks! Where would you guys suggest as far as a website for aftermarket parts? That is easy to navigate since I am pretty new to this.

Quick Reply: From Boston MA , looking for some help, because I am a newbie.