Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Desperately in need of guidance

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:44 AM
sportsterwife
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Desperately in need of guidance

I'm new here and I'm really hoping someone can help me. My husband bought a Harley Sportster back in 02. According to the paperwork it is a "1972 HD XLCH". When he purchased it, the bike had a kick start which he did not like. He had the kick replaced with a starter & has since had quite a bit of work and upgrades done. Now he is having problems with the engine (not exactly sure what the problems are but the bike has a large piece of metal that was blown off somehow & it will not start). Once he began looking at the bike, to make the repairs, he has discovered that the id # is different along with several other differences in the engine that I am not sure of. It is a right side shift with a starter and it appears that parts for a 69 XLH have been used. I have tried to find engine specs & information on both bikes. He would like to know the differences in the two & if these parts were compatible or if possibly that is what caused the current problems. Also, are there any differences in a 883 - 900 to 1000 cover? I am desperate for help. If anyone could answer these questions or guide me in the direction of answers, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:52 AM
woosh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try posting in the Sportster forum.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:55 AM
racerdj
Club Member

I don't have any answers but welcome to the forum and I hope you have success in finding your solutions to posted questions.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:57 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Welcome, post this in the sportster section along with the VIN #'s and I am sure someone can help you with the info you need. There is a lot of knowledge here.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/

Old 11-08-2009, 08:12 AM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to this site run the vin see what it is https://www.nicb.org/cps/rde/xchg/ni..._vincheck.html

Old 11-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Geezer2
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck with your quest. Glad to have you join in the fun. Great place to hang around.... you may learn a little, may learn a lot, may not learn anything. But you will have a few good laughs and make some new friends. Welcome. Geez

Old 11-08-2009, 08:25 AM
dklanecky
Tourer

Welcome to the forum. The early seventies sporties were notorious for blowing starter solenoids. At one point, I went through three in one year on a 72 1000cc bike. Don't know where your physically located, but for reference materials, the Harley Davidson Museum in Milwaukee has an excellent collection of Sportsters that are all in original or restored condition. The sportster forum also has some very knowledgeable people over there.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:47 AM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

Welcome to the forum. Have fun, Ride Safe

Old 11-08-2009, 08:58 AM
sportsterwife
1st Gear
Talking thanks

Thanks guys for responding and not acting like I was a total dumbbell. I might like sticking around here for a minute or two.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Wallaby
Club Member

Welcome aboard the Forum!

Quick Reply: Desperately in need of guidance