Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

leather help

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 05:45 PM
roadking74
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You get what you pay for

I was looking for a good leather jacket when my old HD jacket started to fall apart. It was ten years old and made in the USA. iI figured i would just get another HD jacket until I started looking into it. For starters, thier jackets are made in pakistan and china. Boy, was I pissed. They also use plastic zippers and thier jackets look like high dollar pieces of junk. There was no way i am going to ride my chromed out roadking wearing a "pleather" jacket with plastic on it. I began to look on the internet for a heavy duty, made in the USA jacket. I was kinda surprised at some of the prices. After many restless nights, I decided to go for it, you only live once. I ordered my Langlitz colombia. Had to wait most of the summer after i ordered it. I got it in Sept. WOW!!! heavy duty isn't the word for it. It is more like body armor. Turns out it didnt quite fit right though. I called them up and they said wear it for a year and call them back if I still wanted them to make me a new one. So thats what I did. i wore it a year, and they made me a brand new jacket. Nothing is any better, it will last forever. You spend alot of money for a Harley, spend a few more for a good jacket.

Last edited by roadking74; 11-11-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard the Forum! I like to try gear on before ordering, so usually don't order online

Old 11-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

When buying leathers, think of them as a lifetime investment.

In the time I have had mine, I have had seven motorcycles. I bought mine from Bates Leathers and had them tailor fitted and sewn. Yes they were expensive, but they fit like nothing else. If you try off the rack, be sure to sit on your bike to see how it fits and feels. Check for bunching up front, or a short waist and tail that will let air in. Make sure the sleeves don't pull up beyond the wrist when holding the bars. You want it snug, yet loose enough that you can wear layers or heated clothing underneath. Wear you helmet too and turn your head back and forth putting your chin on your shoulder. Sometimes the collars can rub or catch on the chin strap or the bottom of the helmet. Remember a good jacket is comfortable when sitting on the bike, not standing in parking lots or in a bar. It's about function.

I think the best made ones are the ones Made in the USA. Those include Bates, Langlitz and FoxCreek. The ones made overseas tend to be of leeser quality and sometimes the dye tends to run. Not a good thing if you sweat a lot or ever get caught in a rain storm. Interestingly enough, the leather makes its way around the world and back before you wear it. The hides are from the USA and after selection are sent overseas for processing. This is done because the chemicals and the process needed to breakdown and soften the leather are very restricted by the EPA. So rather than deal with EPA compliance, companies sub it out overseas. After the leather is processed, tanned and dyed, it is sent back to the USA where it is made into clothing. The lower quality leather is sent to other countries where the lower quality jackets are made.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Old 11-11-2009, 09:09 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from Maryland. Leather jackets are all in the fit. Look for a thick stiff leather, as it will loosen up as it breaks in. Some jackets have pads on the elbows and back for crash impact protection. Nice feature.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking74
I decided to go for it, you only live once. I ordered my Langlitz colombia. Had to wait most of the summer after i ordered it. I got it in Sept. WOW!!! heavy duty isn't the word for it. It is more like body armor. Turns out it didnt quite fit right though. I called them up and they said wear it for a year and call them back if I still wanted them to make me a new one. So thats what I did. i wore it a year, and they made me a brand new jacket. Nothing is any better, it will last forever. You spend alot of money for a Harley, spend a few more for a good jacket.
Back in 1990 I went to Oregon and visited Langlitz. I LOVED their stuff! I should have gotten measured and ordered it right there but I held off. I was so happy to find Bates Leathers down where I live here in SoCal. I rode my bike over and like Langlitz they measured me in the saddle. I went back to Bates once for a final fitting (seated on the bike of course) and got my jacket and chaps a week later. It was one of the best investments I ever made.

RoadKing74 is right. Get good leathers and gear. It's worth it.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:22 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by chrishicks3603
New rider and I need some advice on leather. What do you guys wear? Have any of you guys purrchased from leather up? If so how was the quality? i have been looking at the speedster that they carry and I was wondering if this is enough jacket for Georgia winters. If you guys have any other places to purchase or any advice on leather I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Hey Chris ---- As was mentioned, go somewhere & try a jacket on. Doesn't matter who it's from if it fits. One thing I found out though --- get one that has a snap around the neck. Don't get something with a collar --- they flap around in the wind & it'll drive you nuts. Also, get some chaps. I got some just this year, at a bike night somewhere, for like 40 or 50 bucks. They're better than long underwear. You don't have to spend a small fortune to get stuff that says Harley all over it. I'm in upstate PA. I rode a few hours yesterday, and it was below 50. I was a little cold when I got home, but with chaps, it was nothin' like past years when I just wore jeans & long underwear. I wear only a sweatshirt under the jacket & it's fine. Just make sure the jacket is a heavier biker-type jacket ---- and make sure you get the snap up around your neck --- not an outside dress-coat-type collar! Boots are engineer boots from Wal Mart. They do exactly the same thing as overpriced Harley stuff! By the way, welcome aboard! Have a great time.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:26 AM
pvtryno
Advanced

leather up has a lot of good deals on clothing and other gear.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:31 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Funny, I thought everyone would tell you to get some assless chaps and fingerless gloves.
Really the only leather I avoid is that which is sold by the HD dealer.
Most of the stuff you see is made in Pakistan or China. All HD leathers are made in China. The Pakistani leathers are usually dirt cheap like 200 bucks cheaper. But if you want top quality look for american made like Fox Creek. I admit I wear the Pakistani stuff, but for the price, they ain't too bad.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:59 AM
twowheelstoo
Advanced

I'm not a big fan of chaps since they don't actually protect you if you crash - they're more of fashion statement than functional, no armor in the knees or hips and no abrasion protection on your *** and hips, the parts you'll most likely need it on. Good quality textile overpants are as easy to put on over street clothes, plus they provide better and more versatile weather protection in the heat, rain and cold and better abrasion protection for your hips and *** - for a similar price. Check out the Olympia Airglide 2 Overpants or something similar. They have an insulated and waterproof liner, and mesh in the non contact areas for summer ventilation. [ http://www.revzilla.com/olympia?gcli...FU1M5QodETPJqg ] 1000D Cordura has the same abrasion rating as 1.4mm full grain leather.

I've never ordered anything from Leather Up but I've read a lot of comments saying their stuff is really cheap quality, they got a F from the better business bureau
http://www.vegasbbb.org/bbb_rated_ac...2C18%2C19%2C26

Last edited by twowheelstoo; 11-12-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:07 AM
dlhike
Cruiser

I bought the speedster from leather up - "Removable inside quilted liner, and fully lined with mesh fabric lining". It is an extremely heavy leather coat, I'm not in PA. but it gets damn cold in Nebraska and it works great. For 89.95 + shipping it is a great buy - doubled elbows, shoulders it is heavier than any of my friends leather coats. I am very pleased with it. Went a size larger to insure sleeves were long enough as sugested.

I also bought my boots through them 59.95 with dual zippers, and my lugage bag item #067 for 79.95 - very pleased with all of it.

Will buy from them again - all three pieces for the same price most pay for just a coat...now if I wore the coat every day I would propably go the more expesive route - but since I just wear it in late fall and early spring I figure it will last long enough. Have used the lugage 3 times with no issues and wear boots all the time - they just keep getting more comfortable...my 2 cents....

Quick Reply: leather help