Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

leather help

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:27 PM
krashed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a jacket from Leather up this summer and got a good price. I was going to retire my current one it serveral years old and starting to show some wear. I opened the box and that's right a mesh zip in liner not the warmest option, but the jacket looked good, leather is not the best quality (thin). To make a long story short it's still in the box and I'm using my old one (going on seven years now). I honestly don't think the Leather Up jacket would stand up to several years of hard use.

Go to a store try them on and get something that has a good zip in lining and strong zippers (sleeves & front) you may spend a bit more but it will last longer and keep you warmer.

Welcome to the forum, from the Foothills of the Ozark Mountains in central Arkansas.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:42 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Welcome from Vancouver B.C. CANADA

Old 10-20-2009, 10:32 AM
1984Ironhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Welcome to the forum, as others have said.... Buy winter leathers in the spring/summer and summer visa versa. Look online, ebay is a place you can find stuff... people bought, and then stop riding or cant afford it. Good luck.
Hello from New Jersey.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard from New York.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:19 PM
IzZy63
Road Master
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi and welcome from NYC. good people here you'll like it here.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:46 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a pair of chaps from Leather up (lined to the knee) I've worn for 2 years and they are still holding up great. Another good company that is reasonable with great leather is AllState Leather in Texas, or just type in openroad leathers.com

Old 10-25-2009, 07:42 AM
krashed
Tourer

Which one did you pick?

Old 10-25-2009, 07:54 AM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wear a HD jacket, WillieG, and HD chaps. I have seen some other good jackets out there. I would want to get naked leather.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:39 AM
nm156
Banned

I have bought a pair of chaps from Leather up and service is great. The quality is run of the mill high production "split" leather crap. Fit and finish is fine and in light duty cold weather, they work great. But, you're not gonna get years of service from this stuff. They do offer higher quality stuff for more money and if you could, I would highly suggest you buy it once and get something good. I just wish I would have.

I'm an idiot though.

Now I have one brand new pair of chaps from Leather Up that just don't cut it. Very thin split leather and shiny. Looks pretty gay. The other pair I have I just got from Ebay and it's from Hudson Leather. I think they used to be an American company but the chaps I have are made in Pakistan. Very thick leather but the seams are shotty and the zipper is coming loose. Thats what I get for buying used from Ebay though!

After that you'd think I'd learn! Nope! I'm waiting for another pair from Ebay that were more money but I think I may be ok with these. They're used but supposedly in new condition. They're from Fox Creek and I've read nothing but positive feedback about them. I'll let you know what I think.

For jackets, I started off with more Pakistani CRAP! Then I bought a Schott. Schott is by far high quallity stuff. I also have a Vanson and I gotta say the Vanson takes the Schott down!

I also have a Fox Creek Classic 1 coming with the chaps so again, I'll let ya know whta I think.

Other then that, I'd check out these other places;

All State Leather

Walter Dyer Leather

Arts Cow Parts

Legendary USA Leather

Schott NYC

Vanson Leathers

Leather.com (San Diego)

Johnsonleather.com

Langlitz Leather

Some of this stuff is just off the map expensive but you may be able to find a good deal on Ebay.

Good luck!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:57 AM
nm156
Banned

Originally Posted by glenalt
I wear a HD jacket, WillieG, and HD chaps. I have seen some other good jackets out there. I would want to get naked leather.
For what it's worth, I've been doin quite a bit of reading on leather these days (probably too much) LOL!

The HD stuff is primarily out of china.

I think some important things to know about leathers is that when you're looking for a jacket, fit and comfort come first obviously. Thickness of leather, stitching material, seam placement all come into play. From what I've read, "naked" leather is a particular look. the leather is very smooth with not much natural grain and or texture showing at all. Kinda like how Horse hide looks.

I'm told that thickness for jackets should be at least 1.4 mil think for it to be comfortable and effective protection. Jacket seems shouldn't have a back panel seam down the middle. Arm seams should be vertical and behind the elbow. Chaps are not recommended at all for protection but if preferred should be one piece leather in the front. Chaps and pant's leather can be a little thicker. Stitching material should be nylon.

Anyway, thats about all I know about it so far! Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: leather help