Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

First time harley owner considerer, if that makes sense

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:33 AM
Deimos
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time harley owner considerer, if that makes sense

Greetings one and all. My name is Chip and i'm a Nevadan who recently decided that I wanted a motorcycle. And honestly didn't even bother looking at Harley for a good few months of 'browsing' And now that i'm closer to hopefully making a purchase, i've been trying to do as much research as possible.

The new 883 Iron is the only bike I've looked at and it's pretty much the only one I want. I saw it on the showroom floor and it just kinda hit me like that was it(Before I was looking at sport bikes with no real "That's it" type feeling) And seeing the MSRP price I felt like it was something I could do, but I feel like I'm getting boned. Them being a popular model their hard to find, at least in my area in black (sob). And all the fees keep taking the bike up to the 10K mark which i just consider flabbergasting..

I live in Reno Nevada, there's only 3 dealers locally within a half hour and one wanted more then 10 when I actually sat there and talked price, and the other dealer wanted 9995. I haven't checked the 3rd dealer yet, and I probably will tomorrow just to see what's going on with their prices. I know this current market is not exactly the kind of market where haggling will make you friends at the dealer, but I want the most out of my money.. Especially when I could be buying 2 motorcycles for the price of one...

Anywho, I joined here because goggling the topic of 'getting a deal lead me to a decent thread here and figured a few more people with buying know how would able to get my rump firmly seated on an Iron sooner or later. Most of what I just ranted about probably belongs in the thread I mentioned... Cheers.

Last edited by Deimos; 07-22-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:56 AM
Dragan
Tourer

Welcome! I'm a new 883 owner ( first Harley in a long history on 2 wheels), and I think you're going to find that it won't make a whole lot of difference where you buy your iron...the going rate is what it is. The iron is in high demand, so the price is going to be pretty firm until demand drops off. Although I really like the way the iron looks, the mid pegs don't work well for me ( lost part of my leg to cancer a few years ago, and I need forward controls to shift properly) so I went with an 883 Custom, and I'm loving it.

If I can offer a suggestion...if you want to ride, just buy it. I guarantee that the very first mile that you put on you'll be asking yourself why the H*&L you waited as long as you did.

If the iron is what you need, and there's one in stock at a local dealer, sign on the dotted line and get the delivery date finalized. you will not regret it for a second; 10K or not

Wayne

Old 07-22-2009, 02:09 AM
Deimos
Stage II

Hehe.. I"m thinking that. The Iron was the only bike I've seen that made me go . "Oh yeah, that's what I want'" instead of "Yeah I could like this. or I can make it work".

But I do want to try and make the most out of the deal and I honestly don't have much in the way of negotiating experience or know what's good to ask for or whats just kind of ridiculous on my part, though I think I have a good idea.

The iron works out for me because I'm a short little b with a 29 inch inseam (5 foot 4 inches tall). So being able to firmly plant my feet on that ground on my first bike is kind of something I really wanted, and is something no sport bike will ever allow me to do without modification.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:21 AM
ptw***
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from Sweden

Old 07-22-2009, 03:45 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Look around, there’s a lot of different areas to read & learn from.

Questions like (What’s the best ?), or (Having trouble with,?), are asked and answered hundreds of times in the threads.
The search feature get U most answers, a Google search will also.
If you can’t find the answer, start a thread In the correct Section area.

From Indy

Old 07-22-2009, 04:42 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Welcome from Surrey B.C. CANADA

Old 07-22-2009, 04:58 AM
Dragan
Tourer

I hear ya. To be honest, in 40 years of riding I've never owned a Harley until now because I never really saw one that hit the sweet spot for me either. I've looked at the 883 many times over the years, and although I liked the way it looked from the start, I always found something that was a bit of a deal breaker. Now with the rubber mounted engine, fuel injection and a couple of other small things, the mix was right, and I found a ride that I really WANTED. that's important, whether it's you're first bike, or you 100th.

I doubt you'll get much in the way of price breaks on purchase, but after you've agreed on a hard number, you could try for the first service for free ( $300-400), some accessories, etc.

They will probably jump on that to close...most sales guys are the same everywhere. Good luck, and I'm looking forward to that first ride post...the one where you're all " this is SO COOL!!" over the top drooling about your new ride

Old 07-22-2009, 05:20 AM
russell6hp
Tourer

Like they all said, the price at one dealer is usually pretty much the same price you'll find at every other dealer. You could buy two bikes for the price of one...or you could just get a Harley and get twice the bike!

Test ride one for a weekend and see you how like it.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:59 AM
Geezer2
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome from central Washington. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Geez

Old 07-22-2009, 07:19 AM
ystryr
Tourer

Welcome from NC!

Quick Reply: First time harley owner considerer, if that makes sense