Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Hello from NNJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009 | 06:00 AM
Geezer2
Ultimate HDF Member

Congrats Ray. Glad to have you here. Enjoy that Sporty. Msf course, go slow and have a long life enjoying the ride. Geez

Old 07-07-2009 | 06:28 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Thumbs up

Congrats Ray, Welcome from Surrey B.C. CANADA

Old 07-07-2009 | 06:30 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

welcome from Raleigh.... it ain't WHAT you ride... it's THAT you ride..... folks that belittle another person's bike, often have issues, they are trying to cover up

Old 07-07-2009 | 08:58 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Welcome from SoCal.

Old 07-07-2009 | 09:27 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome from Bristol, England.

There are people here with differing views on the subject of 'starter bike' so you'll get differing advice on the subject. Personally, I started out on significantly smaller bikes, my first being a Suzuki 120cc and I gradually moved up.

For myself I'm glad I did things this way as the smaller bikes were lighter, less powerful, more forgiving and cheaper. As with most things in life riding has a learning curve and I certainly dropped my first bike a few times due to making mistakes. However, I was only 17 at the time and fortunately was still immortal back then.

I wouldnt be so presumtuous as to say it's wrong to start out on a bike as large as a Harley. All I can say is I dont think it would have been right for me to do so, and It's not what I would recommend to anyone that asked me.

I appreciate that of course you didnt ask, but it was the best reply I could think of to your first paragraph. BTW, you say your not exactly large, I also currently ride a Sporty and am the same height as you, but 119lbs, it goes well with the skull theme!!

Dont worry about what mods are popular for now. Get yourself on the MSF course and learn some basic skills. If you can find an empty parking lot get the bike down there and practise some slow speed manouvers as thats the trickiest skill. Spend time learning how to ride the bike.

In your spare time when not riding have a look around the Sportster section of the forum and see some of the mods others have done to their bikes. Dont worry whats popular. Rather look and decide what styles of bike appeal to you. There's no rush, but when you have formulated 'your' look and can afford it then do it your own way. It dont mater if its popular or no one else likes it, its 'your' bike.

This link will take you to the forum index, from there you can find the sportster section.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/index.php

Old 07-07-2009 | 09:31 AM
1984Ironhead
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey Ray, welcome to the ""sporty"" family. South Jersey here

Old 07-07-2009 | 09:44 AM
Xenomorph
Tourer

Welcome... new forum member too.

Old 07-07-2009 | 10:16 AM
kmac89
Tourer

Welcome from North Jersey myself
I started out on a 883,it's all I could afford at the time,as it's been said it's not what your riding but that you are riding.Screw anyone that has a problem with what your riding just remember it's there problem not yours
Hope to see you out on the road

Old 07-07-2009 | 10:27 AM
Little Ray97
|
Stage II

hey guys thanks for all the replies.

And i guess you guys are a little more easy going then some car people who all wanna just be sheep and copy each other

and for those who said take the MSF course i will be doing so as soon as i get a permit. I went yesterday and failed by one question cause i hit the wrong part of the screen on accident (stupid touchscreen)

Old 07-07-2009 | 04:16 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member

Welcome from Nawlins!!!

Quick Reply: Hello from NNJ