Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

OK, another newbie post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005 | 12:25 PM
SilverDawg
|
Road Captain
Default OK, another newbie post!

Just found this site, so I want to start out the right way. I'm a 44 year old father of two who is smack dab in the middle of a mid-life crisis. Not really, but it sounds good. I have a 24' boat and a jetski, and am now in the process of doing research into what my first Harley will be. Since I have been away from bikes since I was like 10, I recently took a MSF course to allow me to get my MC endorsement. I'll try to make it down to the DMV in the next two weeks to take the test.

I am an avid participant in quite a few boating forums and learned a great deal about what and how to buy my boat and ski. I am hoping to get the same good advice on this site.

I currently love the lines on the Heritage Softail Classic. I plan on using it mostly on weekends for short rides and the occasional long ride with a few guys from work. Any issue with starting out with the Heritage? I sat on my buddies Road King and it seemed way too heavy and large for me. I also really like the Fatboy, but by adding a windshield and some bags, I may as well just go with the Heritage. It seems to be the bike I always keep going back to look at.

Here is where I need some direction. New or used? Rent first to determine the exact fit? Any issues I will need to look out for as I begin this quest? I am 5'11' and live in the northern DFW area. Also, how do I get information on my local dealers in the Dallas area?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-24-2005 | 02:21 PM
hawker
Advanced
Default RE: OK, another newbie post!

Hi, welcome to the group, I just joined, I was in your spot just two or so weeks ago, I am 42 with wife (no kids) and have been wanting a Harley for several years, well I took the MSF course about three weeks ago and passed the DPS test and purchased my bike. I first thought I wanted the Fat Boy, but wanted the bags and shield, so looked at the Heritage Softail Classic and the Road King, after looking at both I felt the Softail felt more comfortable so thats what I bought. I love it and have about 300 miles on it(all in my subdivision) I am taking it slow and reading a lot! I would get the engine guard added to it before you take it. I almost dropped it at the house (foot slipped wet drive) so that would have paid for the cost! Good luck I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, I am only 5ft 8in and the Softail was a better fit for me. I see you live in Texas, I am in Houston, if I can help at all e-mail me and I would be glad to give you a call and talk more about it. I wish I bought one years ago.

Old 04-24-2005 | 02:55 PM
SilverDawg
|
Road Captain

Thanks for the info. I am sure I will take you up on your offer. What else are you reading to get additional information? Riding techniques? Mechanical manuals?

I hear you on getting the feel of the bike. I too learned on a 250. Featherweight compared to the 650 + lbs of a big bike. My plan is the early Saturday and Sunday "get acquanted rides" Do not want to hurt myself of anyone else either. Plan to take it slow and easy.

Old 04-24-2005 | 03:48 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Howdy SD, welcome to the forum. Your question has come up a few times before so I will tell you what I told them. Renting a bike would be a good start. I've heard that the rental would be applied to the purchase of a bike. Find the bike that feels the best to you and to the type of riding that you intend to do. When you find the bike that feels the best to you, that's the one that you want to get. From what I have read and heard from others, they tend to lean to the Softail family. There's a man on this forum that is 71 and he rides a Heritage, he must have a reason for doing so. Hope that this helps you a little. Enjoy the ride.

Old 04-24-2005 | 05:32 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

OK J.R.

The Softail Heritage would be a great bike for you. Alot of my friends have the same bike and ride with a passanger all the time. The new softails have the counter balanced motor and are as smooth as silk. The low center of gravity is great for balance for a newer rider. Big motor and tank so you can keep up with the big boys.

New or Used? Used if fine if you are buying from a dealer you trust or if you know the bike. Since you are fairly new I would take a firend with you who knows his/her way around the Harley world.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Terry

Old 04-24-2005 | 05:42 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome aboard.

Like others have said, rent a couple of bikes and see which one says "buy ME!", hehehe...

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 04-24-2005 | 05:44 PM
AceArt
Road Warrior

Welcome to the forum. Re: reading...Slip on over th Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine's web site and read their articles for novices and street survival tactics. David Hough has 3 excellent books, which are mainly compilations of his articles. Proficient Motorcycle Riding and More P.M.R. and Street Survival Tactics. Re: people's opinions on various bikes, do a search through this forum via the bike's name and you'll find lots of info. Happy hunting!

Old 04-24-2005 | 05:50 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

Glad you found us. New or used is always a tough question. If you know what you want and you have the patience to shop, I think used is always better...however if you know what you want and don't want to wait, get new. They don't loose a lot of value so you won't get hurt buying new.

Mac

Old 04-24-2005 | 09:26 PM
SilverDawg
|
Road Captain

Thanks for all of the great info so far. I had already orderd the books by Hough. I will look into the MC mag.

The stealer and dealers website was very interesting. I am trying to find additional information about the DFW dealers. I will post in another category to get more exposure.

Thanks again.

Old 04-24-2005 | 10:29 PM
CobraKid
Road Captain

SilverDawg, Welcome to the Forum!!!!! You have come to the right place for good info on just about anything pertaining to Harleys!! As was said above, sit on the different models, maybe rent a few different ones. I was in the same situation last year, I am 55 married with two kids, one still at home, had the Heritage Classic stuck in my mind, bought a new one last October, I haven't regretted it one bit, I love this bike, it handles really well, I am 5'11" and have no problem with this bike, it is a big bike with a big motor but if ya take it easy at first, get used to it, you shouldn't have no problem at all. That's just my .02 and yes I am a little biased to the Heritage Classic, don't know why!!!!

Quick Reply: OK, another newbie post!