Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Mid-life decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009 | 02:00 PM
Boo67
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldnbroke
Thanks to everyone for the replies. And for Geezer, I will use the search function from now on.
Nothing wrong with the question you posted here and nothing that needed to be searched. Some people have a standard "welcome" message that they cut and paste in the new members section. Carry on brotha, and welcome to the forum

Old 06-28-2009 | 03:59 PM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

Welcome & congrats on the new bike

Rick From San Diego / TJ Mexico
1992 flhtc
2002 V-Rod
soon to join the 260 club
Brembo Calipers front & rear
AW wheels
Metzelers
V-mods

Old 06-28-2009 | 04:06 PM
ko4qc
Banned

My personal opinion is to definitely take the beginners course...then buy a cheap used metric cruiser and see if riding is actually something you want to do...I have seen way too many people take up riding late in life and get hurt soon after...I am 51 and been riding for 42 of those years,off and on...a good friend of mine,late 40s,talks occasionally about getting his first bike...I always discourage him...just my honest opinion...good luck whatever you decide..

Old 06-28-2009 | 06:26 PM
higg47
Road Master

Originally Posted by Boo67
Nothing wrong with the question you posted here and nothing that needed to be searched. Some people have a standard "welcome" message that they cut and paste in the new members section. Carry on brotha, and welcome to the forum
+1 Boo

Welcome from Central Mass. and enjoy the Forums. Start with something a little bigger for your size like a Dyna.

Old 06-28-2009 | 06:39 PM
PoincianaRoadKing
Tourer

I started riding a little over 2 years ago. My first purchase was an XL1200...big mistake. I now have a 2000 FXD I bought with LOTS of extras, 15k miles for $6500.00. You NEED to get beyond the Sportster family and into a Dyna or Softtail.

Old 06-28-2009 | 06:46 PM
terrapin88
Tourer

Originally Posted by ko4qc
My personal opinion is to definitely take the beginners course...then buy a cheap used metric cruiser and see if riding is actually something you want to do...I have seen way too many people take up riding late in life and get hurt soon after...I am 51 and been riding for 42 of those years,off and on...a good friend of mine,late 40s,talks occasionally about getting his first bike...I always discourage him...just my honest opinion...good luck whatever you decide..
I agree with this poster. Get an inexpensive cruiser type bike and learn on it until you feel comfortable and then in the mean while do some research on what kind of harley or whatever other bike you might want once you have a few miles under your belt. You probably won't be comfy on a sportster. I had one about 10 years ago and it was fun but not comfortable for me on longer rides. You may find it a bit small for you. I did for me.

Good luck and be safe-

Old 06-28-2009 | 07:23 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

883 way too small. After you take the course, go find a dealer that will let you test ride different bikes. For starters, I'd try a heritage and a road king.

Old 06-28-2009 | 07:55 PM
Jim Stanford
Novice

Originally Posted by oldnbroke
After living the first 57 years of my life never sitting my fat a-- on a motorcycle, I have been bitten by the bug to ride. I have signed up for the rider safety course and I have been looking and talking with the loca Harley dealer. Right now, my choice is a 883 Low. Do you experienced riders think this is too much bike for me? By the way, I am 6' 1" and 275lbs and don't really want a litle toy scooter. Thanks for any suggestions.
Glad to see I'm not the only one with this question. At 52, 6'0", and 180 lbs, I've been wondering the same thing. I didn't want to get more bike than I could safely handle. I was going to go with an 883 Low (after the class, of course, which I've already signed up for), but now I'm starting to question that. Glad to see all the opinions on this subject. Let us know what you decide. Will be interesting to see.

Jim Stanford
Carrollton, Texas

Old 06-28-2009 | 09:29 PM
memphis
Elite HDF Member

Welcome and have fun

Old 06-28-2009 | 09:41 PM
TreasureHunter
Stage IV
Default Welcome and good riding!

I also think the 883 is too small. It's got plenty of power. But, for my first Harley, I bought a 1200. I think you'll like the larger bikes much better and they'll probably be much easier for you to handle, too. Have fun in the rider's course and watch out for the other guy!

Quick Reply: Mid-life decision