Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

I need help from some Harley Veterans!......

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:48 PM
MooseBaby
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help from some Harley Veterans!......

My father is Big Time Harley rider. He lives and breathes Harley!

He has just been diagnosed with Cancer and he is refusing the chemo treatment.

Father's Day is around the corner and I have been looking for the perfect gift for him, but nothing seems good enough for him anymore.

I was wondering if anyone might know of something that would fit this special father's day. It has to be special. If you have any ideas I would love to hear them. A Harley t-shirt from the dealership just doesn't seem like the right gift this year. Maybe something vintage or one of a kind or something like that? I just need some help navigating though the Harley stuff.....there is soooo much! Thank you in advance for your help! I appreciate anything you can share! Moose

Old 06-11-2009, 10:25 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Just spend a whole day with just him by yourself.....

Old 06-12-2009, 01:38 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Welcome from Socal. Sorry to hear about your fathers illness. My father has had cancer 5 times and is healthy as a horse as he had chemo, radiation and surgery to deal with it. that is a tough one. I do agree with oct on spending time with him. Maybe see if you can take him to the Harley museum in Milwaukee. I'll be he would enjoy that. Treasure your time with him. As the Joni Mitchell song goes "Don't know what you've got till it's gone..."

Old 06-12-2009, 06:18 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear the bad news. Give him your time, attention and love. Maybe a very close riding friend of his could give you a suggestion.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:34 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Welcome from Surrey B.C. CANADA

Old 06-12-2009, 06:37 AM
ptw***
Outstanding HDF Member

Been there... Wish I could help... Spend as much time with him as you possibly can. My thoughts goes to you & your father.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member

Welcome from New York. I agree spend time with him. How about one of those die cast models of his bike?

Old 06-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Howdy from Houston!

Old 06-12-2009, 11:45 AM
1984Ironhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Besides spending the day with him... [ lets hope he kicks this bump in the road of life ]... maybe find a bunch of pictures (over the years, his different bikes)..and put them together on a frame or a album ? Thats better then any store bought gift !

Old 06-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome from Bristol, England.

I'm real sorry to hear about your Dad. I've already lost both my parents and agree with most of the type of suggestions made so far. Dont worry so much about buying some fancy or expensive object. Make it something personal, and a special memory that will touch his heart and will last.

You dont say if he still rides or indeed if you ride harleys yourself. If you do, how about if you hire a Harley and arrange to go on a suprise ride with him for the day to somewhere real cool, perhaps somewhere he took you as a kid. If more members of the family could ride as well that would be the best.

If you dont ride yourself, try contacting some of his riding buddies. I'm sure some of them would be willing to take a few you on the back of their bikes to spend the day with your Dad.

Alternatively, is their something you could make for him that would tell him how special he is to you. As an example, my Mum died 7 years back then Dad was diagnosed with a brain tumour which eventually took him 2 years ago. For his final Christmas I couldnt think of anything to buy him. Having routed through some of my boxes of old photographs I found one of my Mum when she was 17, the year they met. I made a fresh copy of it taking out all the damage it had suffered over the years and had it framed in a real nice silver frame. He got real cross with me when I handed him a present as he'd told me not to spend money on him. But when he opened the box, the expression on his face was worth a kings ransome and is a memory I will treasure.

I'm sure if you think about him, you'll find something special and personal.

That and try to respect his decision regarding the treatment.

I hope some of our ideas will inspire your insperation, let us know how it goes.

My thoughts are with you.

Quick Reply: I need help from some Harley Veterans!......