Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Checkin' in from the (soggy) Bikini State!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Stroknvettn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checkin' in from the (soggy) Bikini State!

Howdy, all...

Just orienting myself back to the world, it's taking a while but I'm gettin' there... Sold the Peterbilt last year in disgust after gettin' caught between the logbook and the fuel card with my back against my deadline- Had to pay $4.99/gal in WA state for 268gal in the tank and another 40 for the reefer unit. Ya'll do the math. Can't feed a 15-liter Caterpillar and still make an old-school paycheck...

So, skip forward a few months... Sold the truck in May of '08, stopped off in Atlanta and helped an old bro who just got the Pancreatic "C"-word news to fix up a couple of cool old long-hooded trucks to sell, and since October of '08 I've put about 19k on my '04 Tour Glide, just tryin' to find my head again and figure out what I'm gonna do now that I'm not truckin' every day for the last 25 years.

I figgered I'd better stop here at the intake center and make myself known, lol... Hope ya'll are well and safe, wherever you are!

Happy Motorin... -F-

Old 05-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome from Bristol, England.

I'm not sure I understood much of your message, I guess were divided by a common language lol but enjoy the ride stay safe and welcome to the forum.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:32 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Welcome to the forums from SoCal. Send some of that rain our way. We could really use it here.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Stroknvettn
Intermediate

Thanks, Photo and HDGoodies!

Photo, it means I've been a trucker(lorrie-driver, of the behemoth variety) all my life and got peeved at having to pay close to 1500USD to buy a little over 300 USGallons of diesel. Trucking companies here are audited for safety, and our fuel-card transactions must match to within one hour of our hand-written log book(we seldom use a tachograph here anymore...)

That 15 liter Cat makes 550hp@2150rpm and 1850lb/ft of torque @ 1200rpm, and gets barely 5 miles per gallon. We run as hard as a thousand miles a day over here, so between the truck and the refrigeration unit, you're looking at $1000USD per day for fuel. Simply put, with OUR rates it's hard to make a living as an owner-operator when you have equipment payments, insurance and permiture, maintenence, a family to support, and your OWN mouth to feed, and then have to be away from home for weeks at a time. Not much of a life when your net pay dwindles from $2500 or so a week, down to 7-800 because you're putting it in the tank instead. Then your wife calls you a "*****-mongering dope fiend" because she can't see the correlation between operational costs and the actual money, ignorant distrust sets in and results in divorce, and then you end up on your bike and on this site, lol, trying to sort it all out.

I hope I've clarified the vernacular thing- People have told me I speak in tougher riddles than Jesus... And, I hope your truckin' situation over there is better for your guys than it is for ours...

Chores! -F-

Old 05-29-2009, 02:09 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Welcome from Surrey B.C. CANADA

Old 05-29-2009, 03:12 PM
memphis
Elite HDF Member

Welcome and ride safe

Old 05-29-2009, 04:39 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome from Portland Oregon.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Geezer2
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Howdy from central Washington. Sorry bout the f--king fuel costs. But we're a blue state now. Tax and spend is our middle name. You'll find no better place to belong. Ride safe and show them bug covered pearly whites! Geez

Old 05-29-2009, 05:44 PM
themooser98
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from the Green Mountain State of Vermont!! Been raining here for days also!!!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 10:14 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

welcome and hope you get all the fuzzies out of head and land a decent paycheck..
from Indy.

Quick Reply: Checkin' in from the (soggy) Bikini State!