Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Opinionated Wise Men, Mixed Emotions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:53 AM
HailSkatan760
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinionated Wise Men, Mixed Emotions

Hey there.
This forum has popped up just about everytime I've googled any question I have had about anything motorcycle, so I figured it's about time I hop on in here. Since a youngin' I've been facinated by Harley's and just recently caught "the bug" while riding my buddies sporty around town, and now, I will be taking the Riding Safety Course this weekend to ride legally. I have been looking at used 1200 Sportsters on craigslist and have been given nothing but mixed feelings from experienced riders and rookies alike. Many tell me I need to begin with a smaller bike and many say I should jump to a street bob or something like that. I dont know what to do. Thoughts? Look Forward to meeting some cool folks..

Old 04-13-2009, 02:26 AM
2DEUCE2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing wrong with starting on a Sportster. If you get a metric and you want a Harley, then you are a step behind already. As for the big twin vs. Sporty argument, there are a lot of people who just love the Sportster and will always ride one. I missed mine so I bought one for my wife... which I ride every once in a while. If you like it then ride it. If you really want a big twin and can afford it, get it. One big plus about the Sportsters vs. big twin is insurance. Much cheaper for a Sporty. When I got rid of mine and got the Deuce, insurance went up 2 1/2 times. Worth more = costs more. Anyways, hello and welcome from Los Angeles (Originally from your neck of the woods though; Carlsbad).

Old 04-13-2009, 02:35 AM
HailSkatan760
4th Gear

Appreciate your help, I really love the look of the Sportster... and the feel, but it was the first and only bike I have ever rode. I have sat on my buddies nightster and it just felt to wide for someone as skinny as me.. (im 6'4 and a 140 pounds.. haha) I know what I want, I just dont want to regret it later with the 'told you so' from the peanut gallery.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:14 AM
Monochrome
Road Captain

Sometimes it's a case of what you want to ride and what you feel confident about riding. Large bikes are not difficult to ride once you get past the confidence factor and Harley's stock big twins (if you go that route) are pretty gentle souls so I would not be put off by weight or engine size (providing you are not a nervous type!). The weight factor comes in man handling the bike, sometimes people drop them. I see nothing wrong with a sporty as a bike period (let alone as a first bike). A 1200 will shift a bit if you are a new rider but you control the speed so if you are sensible it should not be an issue). It seems to be accidents happen more when people get over confident about their riding abilities. If you can get some test rides on a dyna or other class of bike then take a spin and take your time deciding. Welcome, good luck and ride safe.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:56 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Welcome from Surrey B.C. CANADA

Old 04-13-2009, 05:31 AM
danielo
Elite HDF Member

Welcome,from Pampa Tx. Go to a dealer and check them out.See which one you like and then go from there on a used one.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:16 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Whatever pulls your cork under get...it's your bike

Old 04-13-2009, 06:24 AM
Geezer2
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome aboard from central Washington. You've arrived at the best forum anywhere. Great members, tons of info, no finer place to be....cept out ridin. Glad you're here! Geezer

Old 04-13-2009, 10:34 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure you've been to a dealer already and have checked out bikes. Test ride those that you like. Then buy the one that your wallet will alow. You will be paying for that bike and you will be riding it...not this peanut gallerry.

Last edited by kromdom; 04-13-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:42 AM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome from Portland Oregon.

Quick Reply: Opinionated Wise Men, Mixed Emotions