Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Carb problems??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:45 AM
IronhorseMarty
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb problems??

I have a '92 fltc 1340. I did a stage one on it by the book. It worked great for about 200 miles. Next day I started it up and fuel came out of the float discharge tube. Took the carb apart and saw no obvious problems. Put it back together and problem gone???
Started it up and fuel spits out of the carb and idles rough. Took the carb apart again. No obvious problems. Put it back together and problem gone. Started it up and now it idles (somewhat roughly) and when I attempt to turn the throttle, it dies. Seems to be flooding but not sure. Appears to be a lot of fuel coming from the main jet hole at the base of the throat where the slide needle goes into.As well as fuel from the throttle jet. These two sources of fuel together seem to load up the carb and it dies as soon as I turn the throttle. I have had the carb apart 10 times trying to find something that looks wrong. Its a simple(?) CV carb. Not much can go wrong with these. Float is o.k., float seat needle is o.k., jets seem good, manifold is snug and secure. I just dont get it.....help.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Carb problems??

Did you remove the collar/fuel venturi from the emulsion tube and install it upside down, or did you forget to re-install it????

Have had a few customers that did the DJK and there is a small silver fitting that the needle fits into, and it only goes in 1 way, beveled end up towards the needle, and the emulsion tube pushes it up into the throat of the carb, about 1/8 of an inch will protrude into the throat....

Did you clean the fuel bowl when you did the install? Did you move or modify the float?

Old 04-26-2006, 01:10 AM
IronhorseMarty
4th Gear

The tube in question was not removed. It is still in its original place. I did remove the float and inspected it and cleaned the bowl. I put it back carefully the same as it came out.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:16 AM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have an answer to your carb problem but I can welcome you to HDForums.com from Omaha, Nebraska.[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-26-2006, 01:20 AM
IronhorseMarty
4th Gear

Thanks for the hello blackbird. I am new out of the gate at this forum and I hope I find the help I need. I am at my wits end.