Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

1st Bike-your comments-your opinion-your 2 cents

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005 | 01:08 PM
Mountainrider
|
Stage III
Default 1st Bike-your comments-your opinion-your 2 cents

Ladies and Gents,

Hello from Calgary, Canada. The snow has finally left us, and were definately seeing signs of spring. For Calgarians, this is huge. We've been stuck in a snowy cold vortex since last fall. If you can appreciate our short summers, you'll understand how everyone panics to get there summer activities started. I decided to leave the golf clubs in the garage and learn to ride a motorbike. I'm 1/2 way through a 5 night class on safe riding. We are using very small bikes (100 or 125 Hondas), which makes the drills somewhat easy. Other than little dirt bikes on the farm, this is my fist kick at street bike riding.

Finally to my question. I've wanted a Harley (specifically a Softail) for a long time. In your experienced opinion, should I wait a season or 2 before I buy a bike as big as a Harley Softail, and train on something with 1/2 the HP, or go for it? If you suggest a smaller bike, what make/model do you suggest? I really wish we were using bigger bikes in this course.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

Old 04-05-2005 | 01:09 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: 1st Bike-your comments-your opinion-your 2 cents

Go for it and get the bike that feels right for you. Don't spend the money on a smaller bike. You've been through the safety course so use that to get the feel of the larger bike. Be smart and stay safe but there's nothing that should hold you back from getting the bike you want since you are an experienced rider.

Old 04-05-2005 | 01:15 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome aboard.

I'd just get the Harley. They really aren't that different to ride than smaller bikes. You just have to be smart and take some time to get to know the feel of the bike. But then, you'd have to do that with any bike you've never ridden before. Most of all, ENJOY the ride!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 04-05-2005 | 01:31 PM
dirtnap664
Road Warrior

Get whatever feels comfortable. I took the safety class and my husband wanted me to start out on a 250. I knew that was already too small for me, so I ended up getting a Harley Lowrider (1340). I never regretted it. Just start off easy and get used to the bike. Every time I went out I would just give myself a new challenge for the day. Stay safe and have fun!!!!

Old 04-05-2005 | 01:38 PM
jrogge
1st Gear

Go for the bike you want first off. Of course be careful and safe and all that, but you will regret it in a month of you don't.

I was off the road for a number of years, and when I decided to get back I asked myself the same questions. Am I ready? Will I ride enough? Can I handle it? The day I bought the smaller bike the salesman told me I'd be back. And I was. Two years later I went back and got what I wanted...brand new Night Train. It's been a year now and the smile hasn't left my face yet.

Gopher it!! And good luck!

Old 04-05-2005 | 02:02 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Get what you want and what you feel comfortable with!! As our MSF instructor kept pointing out to the 'kids' in the class who had said they had control problems with their crotch rockets: 'Those bikes have the same type of twist throttle on the right handlebar, right? Don't twist more than you can handle"
I college, while I was bikeless (?) and was saving for another HD, I came across a helluva deal on a Yamaha 650 twin and it was a great bike. The day after I bought it I wished I would have waited for a HD....

Old 04-05-2005 | 02:08 PM
hawk
Road Master

Be creative and GET A HARLEY

Old 04-05-2005 | 02:30 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned

First of all Welcome to the forum.I agree with the others.You learned the things you need to know to ride any bike so get the one you want.You know that you want the Harley and I feel like the others if you do'nt get it you'll be sorry in the long run.The Softtail standerd is a good handleing bike so you should have no problem riding it.I gotta be honest.Anyone that asked me what to buy I'm gonna say a HARLEY DAVIDSON.

P.S.You may want to rent a Harley or two and make sure that is the way to go but let me warn you they are addictive.
Enjoy your summer on whatever you decide to go with and ride safe.

Old 04-05-2005 | 03:43 PM
SKJOLD
Elite HDF Member

I am in the same boat. I have been learning on a 110cc motorcycle for the past 6 months and just purchased a Harley with 10 times the engine displacement of my other bike. I plan to just take it easy and get the feel of the bike before I actually take it on the road. I think buying a mid-size bike would be a waste of money. Just take it easy and go at your pace. If it take a whole week to get the feel then take the week before taking it on the road. I have heard of many riders that even learn on a Harley. All they do is take it one step at a time.

Old 04-05-2005 | 03:54 PM
Mountainrider
|
Stage III

WOW..thanks to everyone who replied!! What an incredible forum. Kudos to the folks who manage this website.

I guess I'm going Harley shopping!

Cheers!

PS:
If anyone is planning a first time trip through the Canadian side of the Rockies, I'd be happy to be your guide, in exchange for a few riding tips..

Blows my mind how friendly Harley owners are!!!

Quick Reply: 1st Bike-your comments-your opinion-your 2 cents