Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

1st Bike-your comments-your opinion-your 2 cents

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005 | 03:56 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: 1st Bike-your comments-your opinion-your 2 cents

My husband & I bought a bike last summer. We went with a Honda Shadow 750 because we thought the same thing....start with the smaller bike. Now 1 year later we bought the HD. Now there is a Honda in our garage worth $1500 less than it was last worth last summer. We won't get our money back out of it and only used it for 1 year. Go ahead and get the Harley. A smaller bike will be a waste of money. You won't be happy with it for long.

Old 04-05-2005 | 04:35 PM
Brien Crotty
Advanced

I learned to ride in 1987. I was 14, and learned to ride from a Mexican guy I worked with, on a 1979 Honda CB1000. I was a short, skinny kid, scared to death of learning on a bike that big, particularly from someone who didn't speak English, but I wanted to ride. I never had a problem learning to ride on that bike (Tomas Rodriguez was an excellent teacher, and I'm sure regretted teaching me to ride every day when I'd borrow his bike to go to lunch).

I have since taught my four younger brothers to ride. They all learned the basics on a 1974 Honda CB200, and moved up immediately to a Yamaha VStar 1100 and Road Star 1600 with no discomfort or concerns at all. My wife, on the other hand, did not like moving up to so large a bike right away.

I guess the point is, ride whatever you're comfortable with. If you have the opportunity to ride one before you actually buy it, I highly recommend it. I am constantly amazed at the number of people that will buy motorcycles having never ridden that particular model bike.

Good luck!

Brien Crotty

Old 04-05-2005 | 04:37 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"

I raced Motocross for several years. WOrked at the Kawasaki shop in parts and rode home every demo that they had.

After years of not riding at all, I went ahead and got a Dyna and am glad that I did. It only took a few times out to get used to it. Sweet machine.

SO - Dont waste your money on anything except what you want.

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 04-05-2005 | 09:21 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome to the forums, and enjoy your stay, no matter what bike you decide on.

My opinion is to get the bike you like. My wife started with a riders class and a 1997 Lowrider, and we never regretted the decision.

Regards,

Bill

Old 04-05-2005 | 09:40 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome to the forum, as everyone pretty much stated, I would get what you want now, I had not rode a bike in 10 years, bought a new V-star, rode that a few years. Now bought a Night Train, and i'll tell you, the train is easier to ride in my opinion. Should have bought it before, lost money on the star for sure.

Old 04-05-2005 | 09:51 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member

Welcome from SoCal, as an HD is a sizeable expence I suggest you rent 1st and decide which model fits you best. My wife had to have a Sportster, now she wants a Lowrider but in 3 yrs has only put 600m on, go figure. Personally I ride an Ultra.

Old 04-06-2005 | 01:59 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

Glad you found us, you'll love it here. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction...

Mac

Old 04-06-2005 | 02:04 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Welcome To The Forum

So, your from Canada-eh? Had a really nice ride across your country back around 93. Could never tell if I was going over the speed limit or not. Just bought a fatboy fender off of Ebay from a guy in Quebec.

Go with the Harley. All the people I know that started out on small bikes outgrew them in about a month and then lost money on them trying to get rid of them so they could buy the Harley they wanted in the first place. It's not the size that matters (where have I heard that before), it's the center of gravity. A heavy bike is easy to control if you have a low center of gravity (softail models are really good).

Let us know what you decide and post pictures when you get it.

Terry

Old 04-06-2005 | 02:05 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member

Welcome to the show!!

I agree with what's been said so far. I'd buy the bike of your dreams and ride it like a mad man...

Ryan

Old 04-06-2005 | 10:20 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Howdy and welcome aboard. I can't add anything more that wasn't already said, so, enjoy the ride.

Quick Reply: 1st Bike-your comments-your opinion-your 2 cents