Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Future Rider, Noob Here, help on input XD

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:18 AM
Nrodriguez
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Rider, Noob Here, help on input XD

-I know in the future to "search" before I ask for anything. But it will be great if you all can help me get sarted with simple questions and hopefully bringing up more for me to think about. Sorry for the long essay.

Can you guys give me a reality check? New here.
Hello Guys,

My name is Nelson and I’m from Southern California. I’m 19 years of age and currently attending a cal state. And yes, I already know, I’m a baby in age compared to most people here, hehe. So lets get down to business. I have been wanting to get into the motorcycle scene.

I guess I’ll get more specific and give a bit of my history. I’m from San Bernardino, California. Yes, the ghetto, but I love our history of the city. I grew up becoming great friends with my neighbor when I was in the 4th grade. He became my best friend and passed away this 3-07-07. As I grew up he only talked about bike gangs and Harley Davidson’s. He had his own bike club and was even a prospect for some biker gangs I think. I have always been interested and love reading about biker gangs. Non-the-less, I’m nothing like that. But I had a big interest since being very young. And this interest has made me interested in Harleys.

With this said, I also want to do something different than most people. I don’t want to start off with my first vehicle being a car, I want a motorcycle! This idea about motorcycles came into my kind and became a goal when gas prices rose. And the first thing I said was, if I get a motorcycle, it’s going to be a Harley. I was biased and saw street bikes to be sh$t. Everyone around me has always been like, it’s all about Harleys, f#$% crotch rockets.

This May, I went into a motorcycle shop but it was street bikes. I saw a Kawasaki ninja zx6r and saw it was $10 grand. Went online and saw a Kawasaki Ninja 250r and read it was only $3500 msrp. I was like wow, why not get me one of these and gain experience and then get a Harley, cuz we know Harleys cost some big bucks. So I searched, and still am. Then I realized, it doesn’t come cheap. The purpose is for commuting and experience but it added up to $8000 that I’d need to save. So I was getting half close to getting it but then I saw a pic of a chrome Harley.

And what do you know, I came to this site and saw a pic of a Nightster. Let me just remind you all that I been researching on bikes, specifically street bikes since May about every day now. First of all I know we have to test ride these bikes because what might look good, might not really be for us. My goal right now is to take the MSF course. When seeing the Nightster I feel in love with it. I saw the pic from somebody on these forums and it‘s what caught my attention. I’m here because I hear people say, if you’re going to get something, get something you want. When I think of the ninja, I feel ok. When I think of the Nightster, I get all happy lol. Like I can already feel how proud I’ll be to own one.

Now here’s where I’d love a reality check. I read countless hours on these forums during the weekend on the bike. I’m guessing these bikes sell for $10500-$12000 OTD? I got quoted online $1300-1800 for full coverage insurance. My goal for the bike is to use just for commuting, as well for experience in the motorcycle scene. If I do a mod it will be the short shots and I know those can come around $1000? As I read about the bad experiences, I feel like I’m already spending $ and losing a lot. I know you have to keep the bike with great maintenance and that costs some good $. So I always estimate the bike to costs the max with insurance and mods( exhaust). And Im thinking it adds up to around $15,000. I am responsible when it comes to money. I will save over half just to know I can pay if off If I lost my job or something. But can you guys tell a noob anything else I’m expecting? I know there has to be a lot more. I know there has to be a lot more dif. In maintaining one of these bikes compared to a street bike. Any input would be great. I’d appreciate it, and I can feel like someone is going to burn me somehow lol. With all said, I can get a street bike by new years but I am willing to save and do my hw on this bike for another year-2 yrs. I expect to be told I’m going to drop this bike and it’s going to cost a lot of $ to fix. I’m ready for it, please, give some input! All I have to say, is no matter what, I will get into the motorcycle scene somehow. I’ll even expect to be told to start off on a ninja and then get a Harley after gaining experience on riding. But I really want to see what guys have to say. Tell me things I need to know before even really thinking of getting myself into the hands of all this responsibility plz. Tyvm if you read this all and respond.

Oh yeh, I never have ridden a bike. So I also expect for people to tell me I shouldn’t begin on a Harley =x. Hope I get positive feedback to motivate me though lol

Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 AM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from Nevada!! Take a riders course, buy a Harley and ride!! If you don't know what model you might like rent some different ones to see which fits you best.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:37 AM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome aboard from Omaha, NE.

Last edited by Blackbird; 11-11-2008 at 04:51 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 AM
memphis
Elite HDF Member

welcome and yes I agree ,take the course rent
the bike u like and go for the American Iron

Old 11-11-2008, 05:29 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from Virginia. Looks like you've done all your homework well. Go for the Harley.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:57 AM
nfdlbob
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome from Wisconsin,take the course and buy a Harley

Old 11-11-2008, 06:10 AM
HDRider78154
Tourer

I agree with the others above...take the course and then test ride or rent a couple of different bikes to make sure you found the one you want.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Welcome from Virginia Beach!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 AM
NightsterAl
Cruiser

I would highly suggest getting what you want. I currently own a 07 Nightster and its by first bike. Be ready to spend some money to get it to your liking and definitely shop around. I looked at tons of local dealers and then found an awesome deal on a used one with 700 miles. It was already customized and had a 5 year factory warranty.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Mouse575
Cruiser

Welcome from East Texas. Buy a Harley, but take your time and get the one that fits you and your lifestyle.

Quick Reply: Future Rider, Noob Here, help on input XD