Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006 | 07:17 AM
rodder37
|
Advanced
Default Extended Warranty

I am stationed in Korea and I have ordered a 2006 softail standard to be delivered to my next assignment in August. I'm getting it through the military car sales program. I think it is a good deal but I'm just a rookie so what do I know. I am wondering what you guys think of the extended warranty. $999 for the 5 year extended warranty. The bike comes with a 2 year already. I plan on using the bike for a father and son project (he's almost 13) by doing some customizing. He and I love the customizing shows on tv and I think we can do a nice job. I'm thinking I will break the warranty because I want to change the exhaust, add a Heartland kit or one like it... http://www.heartlandbiker.com/ . I want to paint it yellow (daughters fav color) and do some kind of flame job to the tank using Purple and pink (son and wife's fav colors). I'm really not sure if is possible to make purple and pink look worth a crap but I will try on paper. Anyway with my plans and all, what do you guys think about the extended warranty?

P.S.- This has always been a dream of mine to own a Harley......I'm going for it. I have given 15yrs to do what I can to defend freedom for America (and others)...... What symbolizes freedom more than someone riding into the distance on a Harley?

Old 03-20-2006 | 07:47 AM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Extended Warranty

Welcome to HDForums.com from Omaha, Nebraska.
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-20-2006 | 09:42 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member

Welcome to the Forums from Louisiana. Many different extended warranty opinions here. I bought a 4 year and have never used it. Now I have done major engine mods so the motor/transmission warranty are gone anyway. My opinion is if you are going to major mods skip the extended warranty.

Old 03-20-2006 | 09:45 AM
rodder37
|
Advanced

Thanks for the welcome. I'm here at Kunsan AB.... will be going to Anchorage Alaska. I hear there is only 4 months riding time.... but that also means 8 months customizing time. The way i figure it is i will be there 3 years.. 3X8=24 months or 2 yrs... when I get back to the lower 48 My bike will be 3 yrs old with 2 yrs customize time..... At least that is what I try to tell myself when I think of how much I won't ride my dream. I do hear that the summers are awesome and worth the long winter wait.

Old 03-20-2006 | 09:59 AM
rodder37
|
Advanced

Thanks for the reply 100thRK.... I guess you have lived the scenerio I was talking about. I am leaning toward not getting it and using the cash for something fun for the bike. I have some time to think it over before it is too late. Since I will be waiting until August to get it it won't be built until 08 June. Yep that is my baby's B-day. With the deal through the military sales I don't have to have the full down payment until june and I can add the warranty anytime before then. Today I paid $300 to lock that bike in my name. Harley will store it and deliver it at the end of August.

Old 03-20-2006 | 11:14 AM
fatboy4ever
Cruiser

Great to have you on the forum! Also want to send a stateside "thanks" from Westbrook, CT for defending our freedom. I just picked up 2006 Fatboy, and I was also thinking about the warranty. The dealer told me that I could purchase the extended warranty anytime while the bike is under current manufacturer warranty, but the extended warranty will still go back to the "buy date". I think it is a good idea, and I will most likely wait until next year to purchase it. For an additional $333 per year, you get piece mind that can protect your investment. Take care, Scott

Old 03-20-2006 | 11:48 AM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member

[sm=welcomesign.gif] I'd skip the warranty if you do that much work it'll get voided somewhere anyway

Old 03-20-2006 | 12:58 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Welcome from Illinois,

This is a great forum with lots of friendly and knowledgeable members. Stick around and have some fun with us.

Old 03-20-2006 | 03:29 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member

stuck with the factory warrenty myself - Welcome from Fridged Upstate NY - enjoy

Old 03-20-2006 | 04:08 PM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member

G'day Mike, welcome to the HDForum from New Zealand, enjoy!!!! [sm=welcomesign.gif]
You deserve time to do your thing with your son, just go for it!!!

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty