Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Heritage softail vs. road king or road glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009 | 07:40 PM
2DEUCE2
Road Master

Hard choice... I think you should definaltely rent them and give each one a shot. I will say that out of my group of riding friends, we all have Softails or Touring and the Touring guys can always go further than us on the Softails. Touring models are more comfortable on long runs. Now keep in mind, us Softails like to keep it around 300 mile days, not exactly short.

The only other information I can offer you is that the one major difference the Road Glide has is that it's fairing is frame mounted, not handlebar mounted like all of the other Harley's. I have heard that this makes some difference... what I do not know. Ask around the forums though, I'm sure someone has an answer to that.

Old 02-05-2009 | 09:29 PM
Leonidas
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2DEUCE2
Hard choice... I think you should definaltely rent them and give each one a shot. I will say that out of my group of riding friends, we all have Softails or Touring and the Touring guys can always go further than us on the Softails. Touring models are more comfortable on long runs. Now keep in mind, us Softails like to keep it around 300 mile days, not exactly short.

The only other information I can offer you is that the one major difference the Road Glide has is that it's fairing is frame mounted, not handlebar mounted like all of the other Harley's. I have heard that this makes some difference... what I do not know. Ask around the forums though, I'm sure someone has an answer to that.
+1 on the frame mounted fairing.... this supposedly makes the handling much better... but at the cost of a fugly looking bike
Go to a demo ride if you have the opportunity or go rent for the day and check em all out if u can, that way you'll know first hand if it's a good fit for you.

Old 02-06-2009 | 05:13 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

Welcome from Virginia.
The Heritage was not a comfortable touring bike for me.

Old 02-06-2009 | 10:12 AM
Bull_Duck
Tourer

Originally Posted by Leonidas
+1 on the frame mounted fairing.... this supposedly makes the handling much better... but at the cost of a fugly looking bike.
The Road Glide is the best handling long distance touring bike HD makes. "Fugly?" NIMO. The Road Glide is great looking for what it is - no pretense to be anything but the ultimate long distance touring bike.

Ya gotta ask yourself, what is it you want? An urban cruzer bar hopper? A road carver? Retro 'cause you have memories of a biker riding down the steet when you were a kid, or you were inspired to ride 'cause of an old movie?

The Road Glide is a no compromise long distance touring bike. No pretense to be anything else.

The Heritage Softail is a retro cruzer that you can take on an occassional overnight. I would not want to ride 'cross country on one.

Here is my Bull_Duck scale which I made when I was recently testing and ranking bikes.

Rocker----Deuce----Heritage----Dyna----Road King----Street Glide---Ultra---Road Glide

Urban Cruzer ------------------------------------------------------Ultimate Touring

Old 02-06-2009 | 10:33 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member

Go for the big tourer! You will end there anyway! Decide if You want a classic or a fugly bike ;-)

Old 02-06-2009 | 10:37 AM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member

I have owned both the heritage and the road king...both are very nice bikes...ones in the softail family(heritage) the other the touring family(road king)...both can go distances well but the edge for comfortable ride would have to go to the road king...I liked the way you sat more down in the bike with the heritage as opposed to sitting more on the road king...but both as I mentioned great bikes

Old 02-06-2009 | 05:48 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member

WElcome

Old 02-06-2009 | 08:28 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome from Florida! IMO Roadking all the way!

Old 02-06-2009 | 09:15 PM
Fupl18
Road Warrior

Welcome to the forums from NC.

Old 02-06-2009 | 09:38 PM
skotbro
Tourer

Hi and welcome to HDForums, From Bayou Country!!

Quick Reply: Heritage softail vs. road king or road glide