Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Advice On a XL1200C

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:51 PM
cxhernandez
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice On a XL1200C

Hi I'm new here.I just wondering if you think a Sportster xl1200C would be an alright bike.I'm only 5'6" and 265.I went to a local dealer and wanted to see how the sportster felt,cause of my height I'm very limited to what bikes I can get.The sales person said I wouldn't like it and I was to big for it.He had me sit on a Street Bob it felt perfect good height.But one problem the payments are not bad but when the insurance is as much as the bike payments it beomes a problem.The only insurance i can afford is for the sportster.People that have been riding can you tell me if I'll regret buying a sportster like everybody says.I've been waiting a long time to get a Harley and I'm planning on getting it in July.Can anyone give me advice

Old 05-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Motown Glide
Banned
Default RE: Advice On a XL1200C

First off, Welcome to forum! From Motown! Second you need to shop around for insurance, there is good rates out there if you do reseach, even in Detroit ,I got good rates! As far as the bike,the sportster might be to small for you , or smething you will out grow fast!Find a used one than you can upgrade a year or two down the road!
ORIGINAL: cxhernandez

Hi I'm new here.I just wondering if you think a Sportster xl1200C would be an alright bike.I'm only 5'6" and 265.I went to a local dealer and wanted to see how the sportster felt,cause of my height I'm very limited to what bikes I can get.The sales person said I wouldn't like it and I was to big for it.He had me sit on a Street Bob it felt perfect good height.But one problem the payments are not bad but when the insurance is as much as the bike payments it beomes a problem.The only insurance i can afford is for the sportster.People that have been riding can you tell me if I'll regret buying a sportster like everybody says.I've been waiting a long time to get a Harley and I'm planning on getting it in July.Can anyone give me advice

Old 05-17-2008, 06:34 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I definately agree with Motown! Buy a used one!

Old 05-17-2008, 06:37 AM
Starboard
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta agree, look at used bikes and shop the insurance. Welcome from San Antonio, Texas!

Old 05-17-2008, 07:40 AM
danielo
Elite HDF Member

Welcome,from Pampa Tx. I agree with the others try and find a used one.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:26 AM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+4 on the used. Look like a lowrider type to me.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:31 AM
madcritter
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+5 on used and insurance. Welcome from North Carolina

Old 05-17-2008, 09:24 AM
jagator
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cxhernandez

Welcome to the club from NE Florida.

I have an XL1200C, and it is my first bike. I am just a little taller, and about the same weight as you. I also had a hard time trying to decide which bike to get. I went with the Sporty over the Dyna due to the type of riding I do. Which up until now has been weekend riding around town. Although I have started to ride it to work, and looking to make some longer rides. I am glade I went with the Sporty. Very easy to ride, and handles great. The only down side is on longer rides the stock seat can get to you. You will not regret the Sporty at all. It is a great bike. I bought new, but nothing wrong with used lord knows their are plenty around. I just like new. Good luck with the new bike, and will see you in the Sportster section.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48486/0EE23F541BB146CB9D8FC7CFF7FDAFAA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Erdnase
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carlos,
Ride as many bikes as you can. Be patient. Most likely you will not have buyers remorse after you get a HD but, you may find that you want something bigger! Make the right decision for YOU and that's the best you can do! Welcome from North Texas!

Old 05-17-2008, 10:58 AM
MEMPHISDELUXE
2nd Gear

OK I CAN AGREE WITH WHAT EVERYONE IS TELLING YOU ABOUT A USED BIKE BUT LETS GET A LITTLE MORE SPECIFIC HERE.... YOU DO NOT NEED A SPORTSTER FOR YOUR WEIGHT / HEIGHT IT WOULD BE AN UNSERPERFORMING BIKE FOR YOUR CASE. A GREAT LOOK AT A USED IS A RENTAL STREET BOB AT A HARLEY DEALER THAT YOU COULD BUY PREOWNED OR A SOFTAIL DELUXE SINCE IT IS THE LOWEST RIDING HD FROM THE FACTORY. REMEMBER YOU CAN HAVE MOST ANY BIKE LOWERED TO SOME DEGREE. I HAVE A SOFTAIL DELUXE AND EVEN THOUGH IT FIT ME WELL I CHOSE TO LOWER IT 3/4 INCH FOR THE LOW RIDER LOOK..... INSURANCE IS EVERY WHERE I ACTUALLY JUST SWITCHED TO STATE FARM BECAUSE THE WERE THE CHEAPEST AROUNG OUT OF 15 COMPANIES LOOK AND YOU SHALL FIND!!!! GOOD LUCK FROM MEMPHIS TN!!!!
[8D]

Quick Reply: Advice On a XL1200C