Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Advice On a XL1200C

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 03:02 PM
E1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Advice On a XL1200C

Welcome from Birmingham, AL.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcom from SoCal. If you are dead set on buying new, how about a 1200 Low? You'll have the same insurance payments and be lower to the ground.

GL!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:35 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 05-21-2008, 09:28 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the forums !!!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:07 AM
XRP
Ultimate HDF Member

Welcome from Cold Lake, Alberta.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:18 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

HI

Old 06-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Coffee
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buying a bike strictly based on price is usually a bad move. You just end up trading it in or selling it in a year or two to get the bike you really wanted to begin with. Buying a used bike that you will love is always a better option than buying a new one because it was cheaper. Insurance will also be lower on the used one and most of the depreciation has already been taken. I bought mine with 19,000 miles on it from the Harley "Fly & Ride" program and saved a ton of money over new. (of course I am putting that money to good use on accessories).
Good luck, take your time.
Welcome from sunny San Diego!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 PM
skinner0_2
2nd Gear

Im 5'9", 270lbs, and love my 99 sporty. I ride it to work rain or shine, ride it at work alot, and cruise home on it. I spend alot of time sittin on it, and here is what I have noticed that I dont like. Im a big ol boy, so when my wife wants to go for a ride its uncomfortable, i feel like im mashed forward against the handlebars, and in that possition its hard to shift with forward controls. Honestly its the only time i complain about the bike. Riding alone however i can stretch out and Im fine. Half the fun of ridin is havin yer ol lady on the back with your left hand on her knee, so the comfort factor for a guy like me sucks. I generally keep a badlander seat on it, and only put the two up touring seat, and sissy bar on it when she wants to ride. The badlander seat will put you about three or four inches closer to the road but trust me when i say, long rides will be unconfortable. As far as power, and handling go, I have no complaints, in fact i learned quick to respect the thing when it almost jumped out from under me at an intersection when the light turned green. Had my bike not been given to me by my Dad, and if i where making payments on it, honestly i think i would be disapointed knowing i was under a payment on something that doesnt really serve me as well as a larger bike would. However, my bike was a freeby, and that makes it easy to put up with alot, especially when Im buying aftermarket parts while others are making payments. I think you would regret it, but Im not you, Im just the guy that rides one every day. Skinner

Old 06-04-2008, 05:52 AM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 06-04-2008, 09:10 AM
djvargas
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Motown Glide

First off, Welcome to forum! From Motown! Second you need to shop around for insurance, there is good rates out there if you do reseach, even in Detroit ,I got good rates! As far as the bike,the sportster might be to small for you , or smething you will out grow fast!Find a used one than you can upgrade a year or two down the road!
ORIGINAL: cxhernandez

Hi I'm new here.I just wondering if you think a Sportster xl1200C would be an alright bike.I'm only 5'6" and 265.I went to a local dealer and wanted to see how the sportster felt,cause of my height I'm very limited to what bikes I can get.The sales person said I wouldn't like it and I was to big for it.He had me sit on a Street Bob it felt perfect good height.But one problem the payments are not bad but when the insurance is as much as the bike payments it beomes a problem.The only insurance i can afford is for the sportster.People that have been riding can you tell me if I'll regret buying a sportster like everybody says.I've been waiting a long time to get a Harley and I'm planning on getting it in July.Can anyone give me advice
Agree. Buy used first... get to know what you like / dislike about that bike. Customized or trade up.

Quick Reply: Advice On a XL1200C