Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

my new bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 09:58 PM
05RdKing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my new bike

Hello All,
(I do apologize ahead of time for being so long-winded)
First off, I wanted to let everyone know I've enjoyed visiting this site for a while,
and I'm impressed with how well people / posts / etc., flow here.
Great bunch from what I've seen, and it seems that I already know some of you.
Just picked up my Sierra Red Pearl '05 Road King on 2/16/05. I have to admit, I've
NEVER felt better about a new bike purchase than this - really in love with this one;
I've been riding street bikes for 32 years, and started with dirt bikes about 6 years
prior to that with all the other 10 year old neighborhood kids. I've done the same
thing most people do, and ran with Japanese bikes all those years, with the occasional
borrowed Harley. The last couple of bikes I owned were different year 1000 Kaw's; at
the time, I definitely enjoyed these bikes - they did what they were supposed to do for
the most part, but even then, having a Harley was ALWAYS in the back of my mind.
After a lot of consideration this time around (about 1 month, every hour of every day),
and having ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS kicked myself in the *** the last 15 years for
NOT buying a Harley, I decided on the Road King. I spent a good bit of time agonizing
over which bike to get - really difficult decision with all the models Harley has out there,
with each having its own pros & cons (mostly just too many to choose from!!).
For me, this Road King is the bike to have.
I can't ride my new bike until somewhere around mid April; my brother rode it home
for me from the dealer; I HAD to have this bike sitting in my basement by the end of
that week - fiance' doesn't understand, but, oh well, can't explain some things,
just the way it is!
For the "no riding" part, at the moment, my fiance' and I are recovering from a bad
auto wreck we had in Nov.; I hit a BIG metal pole with my 2002 Chevy Z71 at
somewhere between 70-100 mph full throttle (blacked out), and among a few other
nasty things, did a job on breaking everything in both my legs from the knees down.
Damn it's going to be hard to wait!!!!
I'll talk with everyone along the way - thks, Jim

Old 02-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Reddawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my new bike

Congrats Jim,
Looks like you beat me..... Iam excited for you. I went to Las Vegas over the weekend & went into the Largest Dealership. They had 2 FLHRCI ' s instock one just the same as I am waiting for. I wanted to drive it home, but I already have 1K non refundable deposit on mine through a dealer in SLC. Can't wait. Anyway Post some pics first chance you get.
Reddawg

Old 02-25-2005, 12:16 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Howdy Jim and congrats on the new RK. Hope that you enjoy your stay and are able to heal properly so that you can enjoy your new ride. Try to be a little more careful this time, OK

Old 02-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome from SoCal, bet ya start it more than once inside

Old 02-25-2005, 01:20 AM
hawk
Road Master

Good looking scoot,I hope you can ride it soon but when you do "take it easy". Welcome to the forum

Old 02-25-2005, 01:24 AM
Pirate
Road Master

Hi Jim

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the sweet RK!

Old 02-25-2005, 01:55 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats, you're one of the older guys to me...but welcome anyway.

70-100 mph is a little fast, I'm guessing you were takin' sumpin' you weren't supposed to be injesting when driving. Glad you're alright, and able to ride. Enjoy that bike, and SLOW DOWN. It's not the destination, its the long slow ride to get...wherever it is you thought you had be.

Mac

Old 02-25-2005, 02:10 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

You may want to try some gas x for the long wind problem. Congrats on the purchase. Hopefully youll recover nicely and with some new found knowledge. Hows the fiance'?

Old 02-25-2005, 07:12 AM
investorsc
Road Master

OW,,,it's that sudden slowdown from 70-100 to 0 that'll get you...........

Glad you still with us- respect the bike and it will take care of you- same rule applies to 4-wheel vehicles. It's kinda like breaking the laws of Physics- most who try get hurt!

Welcome to our place (Not so happy with all this damn snow in PA!!!

BRUCE

Old 02-25-2005, 07:46 AM
05RdKing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Guys, thank you all for the welcome! (I need to take sincecrazy's advice with the gas-X to stop this rambling!!)
As far as my accident goes, if it was from "over-indulgence" of anything, that may have been better (as in able to control or cure), but from all appearances I had a seizure while driving along at about 50 mph, and as my body stiffened up, hit the go pedal to the floor, and according to my fiance', within matter of about 4 secs we were into the pole - she had reached over & grabbed the wheel to steer us away from some cars stopped at the red light, and to avoid a storefront, her only choice was to stop the truck by hitting the pole. The pole hit me dead center, but from her reaching over, her face wasn't in the air-bag path; the shock trauma surgeons said they never saw anyone so bad - the entire front of her face was powder - they rebuilt it with synthetic materials (over 15 hrs straight of surgery)- she saved a lot of lives that day (my 2 kids were in the back seat, which was the only part of the truck that stayed intact - they were unhurt - 7 & 9 yrs old; to see the pics of the truck, no one would believe anyone walked away) - we are all doing well, considering her & I should be dead - thank you for asking / concern. She is very worried about me riding again due to these seizures coming back, but I'm on meds now, so hopefully that will control it (this was only the 3rd seizure in my life)
And now back to HAPPY stuff (re: HARLEY) - yes, I definitely start it from time to time; who could resist - love that sound, but occ. bad for the basement air even with the doors open!! I also find that I can't walk past it without wiping dust off of it, and she says I'm crazy for starting to wax it when it just came off the showroom floor, but she probably just can't see those finger prints on it like I can! I go down to the basement sometimes & just look it over from every angle, or just sit on it (very happy moments for now), something else she can't understand, but I'm sure most of you can! Really going insane having it sit there, and not being able to ride - but the weather's the same here (Harford Co., MD) as PA, lots of SNOW, so I couldn't ride anyway.
Thanks again everyone, and ride safe ...

Quick Reply: my new bike