Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

considering 1st harley

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 09:09 AM
aussieace06
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering 1st harley

hey
i live in nsw australia and am looking at getting my 1st harley
i am looking at a 92 fxrs 50,000kms, heaps of chrome , spare seat and spare pipes- 14500.00
or a 98 dyna glide- lapera seat , stretched tank 13000kms 15000.00

i dont know much about either but any opinion would be appreciated
thanks

Old 12-24-2005, 10:38 AM
LOTHAR
Cruiser
Default RE: considering 1st harley

Hey aussie,I had the same dilemma. I had not ridden in 30 years and did not know if I would even enjoy it to the extent that I did when I was 24 years old. I decided to spend 10 grand instead of 15 or 20 grand on a 2005 1200C. As soon as I drove it out of the dealership, I popped a chubby. Now I like it so well that I don't want to trade up. I was so glad that I didn't drop that thing in the parking lot of the HD dealership.[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 12-24-2005, 12:15 PM
SiCkEl_RiDeR
Advanced

Good on ya Mate!!

I have ridden for several years and as of 3 weeks ago was never a "Harley" owner. I have had several bikes over the years and many of them I enjoyed.. but I never had the "Harley" experience until a fellow riding buddy (who has been Harley only for years) offered for me to take his UC out for a spin. At the time I had a 2002 Honda Goldwing.. which is a nice bike by it's own right.. but the thing I find I didn't like about it is the ride.. it rides well.. but it rides TOO WELL.. it's like sitting in a barco-lounger with massive HP. Some folks REALLY.. REALLY enjoy that kind of ride.. but I found my butt talking to me once in awhile... "Hey SR, I thought we were riding a Motorcycle... what gives???" Once I put my leg over the Harley Ultra.. started it up and dropped into first gear for a test spin.. the story was over.. I knew I was riding a machine.. when you hear Harley owners tell you.. "There's nothing like riding a Harley" I now know what that means.. and I see why Harley owners are steadfast committed to them. You're on a Machine... YOU feel the machine.. you drive it (vs. it driving you like the GW's), you steer it (although I have to say the HArley actually feels better in twistys than my Wing did) and it glides well.

Bottom line.. getting a M/C is a VERY personal choice.. and a choice no one else can make... In talking to other riders I find the best idea to do a RENTAL. Find the style, type of bike you want and Rent it for a day. Head out on the road and get lost with it.. If you try that.. I'm willing to bet money that you'll put real money down on one the very next day.

Good luck in your choice Aussie.. and keep the rubber side down.. no matter what your choice is!

Old 12-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Mac11
Road Master

Welcome to the forum from Louisiana. If a dealership is close by see if they have demo's or rentals you could try out. I know not everyone wants or can purchase a new bike but you don't want to buy someone troubles. Main thng is to purchase a bike that fits you if you don't you will be trying to trade soon. Dealership can go over another bike and tell you if there are any problems. Hope this helps.

Mac

Old 12-24-2005, 01:58 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Howdy, welcome to Harley country. Good luck on getting your Harley. Enjoy the ride.

Old 12-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome Snake (with a name like snake you gotta have a Harley)

Get the bike that makes you keep coming back to it. Take a friend who knows something about bikes to look them over for you and then DON'T LOOK BACK. Ride it like you stole it.

Best Wishes during the Holiday Season!

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 12-24-2005, 04:39 PM
LT753
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from East Tn.

Lynn

Old 12-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aussieace06
hey
i live in nsw australia and am looking at getting my 1st harley
That'll be a fun job, Snake. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Welcome!from Western, NY

Old 12-25-2005, 12:50 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Well aussieace06, welcome from East Texas in the US. Sounds like you're looking at a couple nice bikes but if you're looking for opinions, I'd go for the FXRS. Those were some of the best built, best handling bikes HD made...to this day there's a big following for those here in this country. I'm not much into chrome so I can't have much of an opinion there and am really not considering the prices.....I've just always liked the solidness of those FXR(R)'s. I bought one new in '83 and have always kept an eye on their evolution until HD started making the Dyna instead.

Good luck in your new adventure, whatever you decide.

Old 12-25-2005, 03:12 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

merry christmas, welcome from eastern nc, and good luck with your purchase. dont forget to post some pics when ya get one!!

Quick Reply: considering 1st harley